5.0 347 swap | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 347 swap

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok just making sure your not using the mustang belt drive, I'd love to see someone make that fit with stock radiator location.

Side note damper dudes makes a rebalanced factory pulley if you need a stock bolt on option. I have one on my 351w.

20170721_130722.jpg

20170721_142031.jpg

You will need custom tuning. Different injectors and maf make it mandatory. Even if the injectors are supposedly 'matched' to the maf, its not very close.

You can do the tuning yourself with the sct programmer and the pro racer software package.

edit: I used the damper dudes 28oz balancer, my motor balanced fine with it.

Congratulations on the build. Looks amazing. You have more skills than most of us backyard guys.

The OEM balancers are good for stock rpm levels. If you want to turn that 347 over 6k, I'd rethink the balancer to get one that can handle more rpm. I have one engine planned to push that level, so I'm looking for some kind of SFI option. Hopefully your cam isn't too wild, and you can live with it running under 6k.

The OEM balancers are good for stock rpm levels. If you want to turn that 347 over 6k, I'd rethink the balancer to get one that can handle more rpm. I have one engine planned to push that level, so I'm looking for some kind of SFI option. Hopefully your cam isn't too wild, and you can live with it running under 6k.[/QUOTE

First off. The balancer is not stock. It came with the scat rotating assembly. The engine has been on the Dyno. 7900 to 8500 safe range. Cam is large. 613 on intake. 6** on the exhaust I'm pretty sure. On the Dyno with a fitech it made 506hp N.A.

You will need custom tuning. Different injectors and maf make it mandatory. Even if the injectors are supposedly 'matched' to the maf, its not very close.

You can do the tuning yourself with the sct programmer and the pro racer software package.

edit: I used the damper dudes 28oz balancer, my motor balanced fine with it.

Congratulations on the build. Looks amazing. You have more skills than most of us backyard guys.[/QUOTE

Tha k you and I appreciate the advice

An 8500rpm 347 in a trail rig explorer? Longtubes? Using the mustang front accessory drive?

Welcome to ExplorerForum!

:popcorn:

Are you having a custom crank pulley made so it lines up with the explorer pulleys? I assume its a 4 bolt "mustang" balancer.

Never seen it done is all. Not hating or doubting.

BTW, there is a special going on this week: x2 bonus cool points per picture posted. :D
Are you having a custom crank pulley made so as it line up with the explorer pulleys?

Good question! I have a pulley that I'm going to shorten. Haven't had it all back together with the accessories yet so we will see. If it won't work I'll run mustang accessories and put the rad in the back.

Can your balancer run a pulley compatible 94/95 mustang? You could just space out the factory brackets the .25" to match.

Or you can toss the rad in the back and run the truck belt drive. Bolt on Saginaw ps pump and other options then. It's a big jump in spacing. Here's mine off the 351 vs explorer.

20170909_084649.jpg

Last thing to do is either buy a programmer with custom tunes or have my factory one reburned.

Since your in Monoe, may I suggest:
http://alternativeauto.com/

$300 For a basic dyno tune or $1000 for something radical with a wideband stand alone tuner. I think you made need the second option. I don't see the factory PCM(correction:EDIS) handling +7000rpm well.

What kind of torque converter are you using? Transmission upgrades? Might need a trans controller too while your at it. And a couple spare transfer cases and driveshafts and...

What kind of torque converter are you using? Transmission upgrades? Might need a trans controller too while your at it. And a couple spare transfer cases and driveshafts and...

T case is a np272 so I shouldn't have a issue there. The trans will be stock till it blows. 2800 TCI converter. It's not a mud truck. Rocks trains and hill climbs are the main objective.

T case is a np272 so I shouldn't have a issue there. The trans will be stock till it blows. 2800 TCI converter. It's not a mud truck. Rocks trains and hill climbs are the main objective.

Right on. Stock converters balloon when spun past 5,400ish. Stock 4r70's can handle 500 hp np but a valvebody upgrade/mod is recommended.

I'm hooked! Can't wait to see this beast in action! :thumbsup:

Back