5.0 engine problems | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 engine problems

If the wiring is flawless and you're sure the CPS is installed properly, then 410Fortune's advice is where you need to be focused.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did that yesterday both wires checked good.
Let me say this whatever happened started while it was sitting, I took a 70 mile trip no problems was there about 2 hours when I started back this problem started witch made it a very long trip back.

It sounds like more than one thing, but I also would go at the fuel pressure. Replace the filter any time the fuel pressure is suspect, or the age of it is unknown(new purchase). If the pressure drops below 55psi ever, that's a big telltale sign of a bad pump. My 99 had to get that low before it finally threw a P0171 code, I kept seeing pressure in the upper 50's to a high of 60. I had a random lean(lack of power at higher speeds) issue, over about a year. When the code finally hit, then the pressure check showed 52psi or so, and I changed the pump(it had a small cut in the rubber hose at the FPR).

There is likely a wiring issue somewhere that's producing the faults for CPS, TPS, etc, the falling rpm's, tach etc. I'd keep looking hard at the wiring, all of the connectors, hunt for a chewed or crushed section of wire etc.

How do the spark plugs look, how big are the gaps? Old plugs can finally kill coil packs and lose power enough to feel it.

Have you even bothered to check fuel pressure at start up? 99% sure there's a port right on the fuel rail to hook up a gauge to it, you can probably just rent from any local parts store if you don't have one.
I had a similar issue, went through all the trouble you did and then the truck just died on me.
Fuel pump was only pushing 20~ PSI. To each their own, but it sounds like a fuel pump

A fuel pump wouldn't explain the loss of signal codes. It may very well be part of the problem, but there's more going on than that.

A fuel pump wouldn't explain the loss of signal codes. It may very well be part of the problem, but there's more going on than that.
To answer your ? Yes I did check the fuel pressure hot 60 lb. As far as starting it just takes a bump and it's running I no it's a bbbbb not having it in front on you to check out I wish you did I'm about ready to scrap it.

If you're at that point, let someone else look at it.

If you're at that point, let someone else look at it.
Got nobody but the ford dealer I best friend and auto Guru died last month suddenly at 49 and I cannot afford a dealer.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend.

There are no decent local mechanics outside of the dealer?

Location? Maybe there’s another forum member nearby

Damn, wish I still lived in Meridian, I’d come give her a look

Damn, wish I still lived in Meridian, I’d come give her a look
Well changed the filter and no change however it is giving a ignition switch code now I wonder is it possible?

Stop.

Throwing parts at this isn't going to fix the problem.

The electrical faults and codes are all probably related, the engine issue could be partly electrical, but it might still be mechanical such as the pump or plugs etc.

Who has worked on the vehicle, and what wiring did they dig into? That might be a good start to hunt the electrical issues. If they cut the ignition wires for instance, to add a remote starter or alarm, that could wreak havoc on almost anything. Look for any non factory wires, or connectors, watch out for the blue pinching(attach with finger force and no tools or solder) connectors, some radio places use those a lot. Those cut into wires to make connection, and that damages the wires.

Well I pulled the upper intake again and this time found some wires damaged in the loom, I repaired and put all back together now it says I have a ignition switch malfunction I give up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it says you have an ignition switch malfunction?
What code is that? I have never heard of a scanner that can test the ignition switch
PATS code?
WHAT IS THE ACTUAL CODE?

Have you checked the cam position sensor yet?
vacuum lines?

Back