5.0 engine problems | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 engine problems

I have replaced the hole thing sensor and the case and the shaft, I also replaced a couple of vacuum lines I'm not a idiot as far as a code I will get it next time I go out there .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For the love of all that is decent...

Stop replacing things until you know what's wrong!!!

I'm done replacing cause that switch is a animal that might be over my head.

you can do this! Nobody said you are not smart with codes. We all have to learn sometime and somewhere

posting the actual code here will result in tons of help
Listening to the parts store guy or friends or youtube about what the "code means" is not as good as giving us the actual code, people here have been around these engines and explorers so we know where to look

I no these people no more about these explorers than I do but when a snapon scanner says you have a ignition switch malfunction I tend to believe it.

I’d wipe the codes and see if it comes back. I had a one time transmission range sensor fail code pop when I shifted from D to 2. Cleared the codes, never came back.

You don’t want to go through the ass pain of changing out an ignition switch that faulted one time in the past...

I no these people no more about these explorers than I do but when a snapon scanner says you have a ignition switch malfunction I tend to believe it.

It could help a lot if you posted the codes. Each code is not specific to one component, it is almost always a fault which can be caused by several different things. An O2 sensor fault does not mean change that one sensor, sometimes it is that sensor, but usually(75%) it is not that sensor.

The members here have experienced the error codes and invested the time to track down the issue. Allow them to save you time and money, post the error code(s).

As 410 mentioned above, I also am unaware of any code for the computer to indicate any potential issues with an ignition switch. Spark ignition system, absolutely. But definitely not the switch.

To me it makes since cause the key will not turn to acc. And the will only work 1 side up now.

Then it sounds like you (also) have a problem there. But unrelated to the error the computer is reporting.

The ignition lock tumbler/cylinder and the electrical side of the switch are independent. You can remove and replace the cylinder without touching the actual switch.

A key only working one side up is either a key issue or a cylinder issue, not an electrical switch issue.

Change that ignition key cylinder very quickly. Those are easy to replace when the old one functions, but if the key won't turn it to ON, then it's hell to remove the old one.

Ok here are some codes B1352, B2359,

Ok B1352 is ignition key in circuit failure. B1359 is ignition run/acc circuit failure.

Those are GEM codes, not powertrain codes. Two of my vehicles throw those codes, and run great. Look elsewhere.

Its okay! this is how you find THE PROBLEM
by eliminating things that could cause it

with the 5.0 here are the things that cause a "stumble or misfire" most often on a good running 5.0 that will NOT RESULT in a code:

plug wires (new or not) the routing is so important that if its not done correctly you will burn a wire, cross wires, use cheap wires and end up with misfires. can watch the engine run in the dark while it is misfiring and look for blue arcing

low fuel pressure due to weak pump, especially on the 98-01 trucks with the returnless fuel

dirty MAS sensor wires

EGR leak

Cam sensor issues

vacuum/intake leaks

valve seat leaks, compression issues

In that order, pretty much

Finding which cylinder is having the issue is usually pretty obvious by pulling the spark plugs and looking at them. This works especially good if you blurp the throttle and then shut the engine off immediately

Ok guys still throwing 0320,and 340 what next ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just because it surely can not hurt with all of your random codes, Get a few cans of electrical cleaner and clean your ecm plug and all your grounds on it. All of them. Be shocked how much it can help.

Back