5.0 interchangeable with mustang parts? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 interchangeable with mustang parts?

trizzola

Reaction score
City, State
Thalwil, Zurich
Hi guys!

I'm looking to buy a '00 or later x with the 5.0 v8 in it and have a few questions. First of all, i have read somewhere that many performance parts for the 5.0 mustang also fit the explorer scince the engines are very similar. Is this true at all? also, if you had around 2000 dollars to spend on performance upgrades, which are the most effective? this leads to my final question, is it worth even getting the v8 if for the same money similar performance can be had from the v6? (although the soundtrack is just as important as performance ;))

thanks for your help!

If i had 2000 dollars i would find a used 5.0 supercharger kit and make it work...it would not be difficult at all. My friend did it on his 5.0 explorer before any kits came out...just make sure you have a SCT tuner and know of a good AWD tuner shop. Only thing i can see being needed to be fabed is a inlet pipe, the rest you will need injectors, fuel pump, and a bigger maf also, but if you find the right used kit you can most likely find all the other accessories needed.

Our motors are very similar to the fox body cobra motors...gt40 uppper/lower intake along with the heads.

If you don't wanna go supercharger do, intake, cat back, and headers...theres your 2k

Back