Complete Mustang 5.0L in 00-01 Explorer V8? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Complete Mustang 5.0L in 00-01 Explorer V8?

I definately want to stay updated with header developments - I'm curious as to what you end up doing...

Most of my experience with 302 is with blowers where tuning and boost levels play a much bigger role in power production than precise cam choice and head design...forced induction can cover a lot of sins...for example I run oem mufflers (2.25") on my 95 mustang 347 s/c combo and made 500 rwhp through them!

I'll check the specs on the cam I have - it's free and big but really a blower cam. Do you really think there would be a ton of HP in a custom grind? I know blower guys used to say 50 hp was not too uncommon going from OTS to custom but this would be on cars making 500 hp plus...

I have bigger intakes available to me (victor efi is on the motor now :D ) but I don't really want to have to spin this thing too high to make power, maybe 5500 max...I'll look into the next step up (1500-6500 rpm intakes)

I have screwed up enough times on stall - I don't like overstalling a motor for the street - I'm used to a stick so I always seem to like a converter that's a little too tight to one that's a little too loose...so I err on the small side.

These explorers have 3.73 gears right? That and the wide ratio gear set help the trucks get out of the hole pretty well I imagine...

mosst have 3.73, especially the 5.0L AWD, not sure I have ever seen a 5.0L with 3.55 or 4.10, but I am sure they are out there......

I was going to mention that boost works through many restrictions, and smaller intakes etc. You said it, so I'll just suggest spending some time on the SBFtech forum. The engine builder and cam builder of my engine own and run that site. It's all about Ford power and no myths, other than to stomp on them.

You can actually gain a lot with a custom cam made for the engine versus the countless OTS cams. Most of the magic is in the matching of cam to the combo, plus the valvetrain being right and not compromised. Custom parts are more precise and stronger springs accelerate quicker, with the cam. You can't do that with generic springs and cams that apply to tons of parts.

I would go with the Victor EFI that you have, or the others in the 6500-7500rpm range. Those ratings don't translate well to a stroker with custom cam and heads. There are two guys with Super Vic EFI's on a 306 and a 332, both run fine except that the cams aren't made for the intake. They have plenty of torque, it just takes tuning.

I agree about the TC stall, I haven't liked any high stall cars. I was "talked into" this 2800rpm TC, we'll see how it does. Here's a chassis dyno chart for a 332 engine from a 92 Mustang. I'm fuzzy about what intake it has, I think the compression was over 10:1 and the cam is made to be for that higher rpm.

Attachments

• 399hp 331 Canfield heads.JPG
    399hp 331 Canfield heads.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 299

Back