97 awd 5.0 XLT explorer 75 mm throttle body upgrade? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 awd 5.0 XLT explorer 75 mm throttle body upgrade?

93explorereb

Reaction score
City, State
Northeast
Year, Model & Trim Level
93/97 4.0 EB/5.0 XLT 4AWD
Greetings:

I just picked up a 1997 explorer XLT 5.0 AWD. However, I wish to upgrade the throttle body to a 75mm. I basically would like some Mustang GT effects and or performance from my engine. The motor itself has only 123,000 original miles on it. Would it just be a plug and play. Should I seek a donor mustang GT setup, and or just order a new eddlebrock setup. How much horse power would be obtained from such a modification? Also how stout is the tranny in this year? What good flowmaster exhaust setup would be best for that mellow type of mustang growl? Overall the truck is in excellent shape. Again, I opt to start with the throttle body, would this also include sensor upgrades too? Thanks in advance!!! Oh and I am very mechanically inclined, I just seek the most practical approach to installing this upgrade. One other question, how much of an improvement has Ford done with the 5.0, given that this engine has been used in several of their vehicles over the years. Thanks again!

Best Regards

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are no direct fit TB upgrades available for the 5.0 Explorer. The general consensus seems to be you'll get marginal performance gains from doing so anyhow, even if you took the time to mod something.

You want to wake up that 5.0? Go with an air intake, upgrade the exhaust (which you plan to do), get Torque Monster Headers and then custom tuning a la SCT. Henson Performance (site sponsor) can help you with the latter mod.

Tons of threads on ALL these mods available on the site. The SEARCH tools available at your disposal will yield great results.

With a 65 mm bore in the intake manifold, I doubt the throttle body will do you any good. 75mm is quite large.

Until you perform other mods this will be a waste of time and $$ IMO

Good luck though.

A Mustang throttle body is not a bolt on for the Explorer. It will require modifications to the throttle linkage. It also will not help that much.

Also (though you didn't mention it) Mustang under dive pulleys will not work on an Explorer either.

Your best mod to make is Torque Monster headers as the factory exhaust manifolds are a huge bottle cork. You will never get a "Mustang Growl" with an Explorer due to the exhaust routing.

A tune is also a very good way to gain some power.

welcome

Thanks guys! All that I would generally like is to boost the horses/torque without substational modifications. What type of flowmaster setup would be best, I believe someone mentioned a CAI setup, thus allowing the engine to become less restrictive. What might be the best feasible CAI systems, given the fact that there are a ton of them on the market, I know of a few good ones, but what truly would work best in my situation? Thanks again guys, your responses have been greatly appreciated! I will be putting some 31's on this truck in about a week. My 93 4.0 eddie bauer 4 door hs 31's on it. Thanks again!

Best Regards

Actually there are only 2 options for a CAI, Air max, or build your own. MAC technically makes them, but they make them when ordered and guys have waited over a month and still not heard anything about when they would get them. For exhaust just chose a muffler you like and have an exhaust shop do up a new tail pipe for you. There is a thread at the top of this section about all kinds of different choices for you.

Actually there are only 2 options for a CAI, Air max, or build your own. MAC technically makes them, but they make them when ordered and guys have waited over a month and still not heard anything about when they would get them. For exhaust just chose a muffler you like and have an exhaust shop do up a new tail pipe for you. There is a thread at the top of this section about all kinds of different choices for you.
Thanks! I am trying to decide between Flowmaster Delta 40 or the Super 40? The delta 40 sounds good, but super 40?

There are no direct fit TB upgrades available for the 5.0 Explorer. The general consensus seems to be you'll get marginal performance gains from doing so anyhow, even if you took the time to mod something.

You want to wake up that 5.0? Go with an air intake, upgrade the exhaust (which you plan to do), get Torque Monster Headers and then custom tuning a la SCT. Henson Performance (site sponsor) can help you with the latter mod.

Tons of threads on ALL these mods available on the site. The SEARCH tools available at your disposal will yield great results.
I heard these Torque monsters headers!!! Absolutely cool! Dam good sounding exhaust system! Could I get away with a K&N CAI or similar setup, in addition to my muffler upgrade? I am sort of contemplating between Flowmaster's Delta 40 or their Super 40. I heard the delta 40 it sounds really nice! But their super 40 is good too. What are the distinct differences overall? Those Torque monster headers are on my things to do list for sure! Thanks!!

I think they're both to loud, the 50 is just right for me. Pretty mellow at idle and low rpm so I can still drive around with some stealth, and if I give it some gas make it scream.
50 is a little mellow, I will look into 50, thanks for the response! In other words, you can still a mellow distinctive tone at idle/low rpm's, only when you tap the pedal extra extra, then you can really hear it, not bad:D.

why no mention of the 1.7 cobra rockers? aside from the fact that they have doubled in price over the last year.
the TB isn't hard to do, basically look up the info on how to put an explorer 65mm on a mustang and do the opposite. the intake and P heads will easily outflow a 65mm tb so its not far fetched to say a 75 would work well.
a good CAI and free up the exhaust. is always the best starting point for anything. I'm balancing building my mustang and playing w/ the '98 5.0 expy in the driveway. As long as the CEL stays off I'll keeping throwing my extra parts on it.

Seeing as how the elbow, and intake opening aren't that big there is no point in putting on the bigger throttle body. With the taller roller rockers, you need a taller valve cover, which can be hard to find if your running the torque monster headers as things get very close then. And it's also a lot of work for not much gain.

Greetings:

I just picked up a 1997 explorer XLT 5.0 AWD. However, I wish to upgrade the throttle body to a 75mm. I basically would like some Mustang GT effects and or performance from my engine. The motor itself has only 123,000 original miles on it. Would it just be a plug and play. Should I seek a donor mustang GT setup, and or just order a new eddlebrock setup. How much horse power would be obtained from such a modification? Also how stout is the tranny in this year? What good flowmaster exhaust setup would be best for that mellow type of mustang growl? Overall the truck is in excellent shape. Again, I opt to start with the throttle body, would this also include sensor upgrades too? Thanks in advance!!! Oh and I am very mechanically inclined, I just seek the most practical approach to installing this upgrade. One other question, how much of an improvement has Ford done with the 5.0, given that this engine has been used in several of their vehicles over the years. Thanks again!

Best Regards
215 hp, the Explorer has GT 40 heads and intake. Might as well put a cold air kit on it while doing the throttle body. Less than 60$ on EBAY. You might get 20-25 hp from a cold air intake and 75mm throttle body. If you have a Dremal tool, stuff a rag in the upper intake and smooth it out, bore it out a bit, or the gaskets won't line up correctly. Stock throttle body is a 65mm. So there's a big air flow difference. Hope this helps. I also have a 99 Explorer AWD 5.0. And I have owned at least 8. I've built 3 Rangers with 5.0's. Those were super fun.

215 hp, the Explorer has GT 40 heads and intake. Might as well put a cold air kit on it while doing the throttle body. Less than 60$ on EBAY. You might get 20-25 hp from a cold air intake and 75mm throttle body. If you have a Dremal tool, stuff a rag in the upper intake and smooth it out, bore it out a bit, or the gaskets won't line up correctly. Stock throttle body is a 65mm. So there's a big air flow difference. Hope this helps. I also have a 99 Explorer AWD 5.0. And I have owned at least 8 vehicles with 5.0's, I've built 3 Rangers with 5.0's. Those were super fun. But my favorite was my 1990 FHP Police Interceptor. Stroked it to a 347ci.
Oh the first 2 yrs of the 5.0 in the Explorer does have cast iron GT40 Heads. The rest of the yrs GT40P heads. So you have the better flowing higher compression heads. 9.1 vs 9.0. Better valve springs and a 303 cam, Flowmaster American Thunder mufflers. And your golden Pony Boy. It'll whoop whoop I promise.

Without addressing the pitiful exhaust manifolds I wouldn’t bother upgrading anything on the intake side.

Also, this thread is from 2009.

Without addressing the pitiful exhaust manifolds I wouldn’t bother upgrading anything on the intake side.

Also, this thread is from 2009.
Your gonna have to get custom headers made. I've yet to find any. If you do find them let me know.

Your gonna have to get custom headers made. I've yet to find any. If you do find them let me know.
Headers have made made by a few places. The current “good” ones Torque Monster Headers, have a ridiculous lead time, and non-existent customer service.

Beauberry!, Are you an Australian who likes and has built these old fords?​

You might be MBrooks420's Australian counterpart!

I run a 75mm throttle body with 8lbs of boost. It is a bit snappy! When you open it, the rig goes, jumps. It is hard to roll it on easy and everyone that drives it has to take a little time to get used to it. I think a 75mm would be too large on anything but a highly modified X.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Definitely not Australian. I'm born and raised in Florida. And I love the old 5.0. Although a 75 mm throttle body is to big unless you have a power adder of some type. 65mm is good for up to 400hp, with some 24lb injectors.. I myself have never went any bigger than a 65mm throttle body. But dude says he wants a 75mm.. just putting my 12 cents in.

Back