5-0 performance parts | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5-0 performance parts

Ok, this is just a question, (maybe more of a gripe).
Has anyone noticed that there are more performance parts, more readily available for the 4.0 V6 than the 5.0 V8? Im not looking to make make a race or drag truck, but would like a few extra HP. It took me friggin forever to even find a cold air intake, or headers for my '01 5.0. You would think parts would be more accessable for the 5.0 than the 4.0. Stumps me. Bout the best i could find was a MAC air intake and Torque Monster headers. If anyone else has noticed this and wants to gripe, or has any suggestions of where to find some other parts that will help me one the quest for more power please feel free to post. :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BTW, I forgot to mention the cam... The Steeda #19 cam is a good upgrade from stock, but has a 114 (?) lobe of seperation that helps w/ finicky computers (works well w/ the SN-95's which are known for ECU issues w/ a cam).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BTW, I forgot to mention the cam... The Steeda #19 cam is a good upgrade from stock, but has a 114 (?) lobe of seperation that helps w/ finicky computers (works well w/ the SN-95's which are known for ECU issues w/ a cam).

These computers can have alot thrown at them and not even throw one code. i'd like to poit out JTsmith's 347 and x-spec cam engine that is just now getting tuned :p:

These computers can have alot thrown at them and not even throw one code. i'd like to poit out JTsmith's 347 and x-spec cam engine that is just now getting tuned :p:
That's good to know.... Sn-95 Mustangs are notorious for disliking a cam w/o a good tune.

Thats Before the OBD-II :D

Bingo, the greatest performance component of the 96-01 Explorers is the OBDII system. You can do anything as long as the PCM gets tuned for it. With older PCM's you have to buy a bunch of stuff which is of no use for a 96+ Explorer.
(FMU, adjustable FPR, boost retard ignition, calibrated MAF, Tweeker, adjustable MAF device, adjustable IAC)

Bingo, the greatest performance component of the 96-01 Explorers is the OBDII system. You can do anything as long as the PCM gets tuned for it. With older PCM's you have to buy a bunch of stuff which is of no use for a 96+ Explorer.
(FMU, adjustable FPR, boost retard ignition, calibrated MAF, Tweeker, adjustable MAF device, adjustable IAC)
What is this OBDII you speak of?

<--EEC IV on 90 Mustang:D

I shall toss my EECIV from my 91 Mark VII when I get to working on it. I'll swap the OBDII system I have from spare 98 Explorer parts. That alone will make it much better to work with. Regards,

i don't really support putting MSD, or Accel coils on new vehicles unless you're running a large cam set up or forced induction. The stock ones are ussaly very good. I do however belave in older cars redoing the ignition system is a good idea but mainly for economy reasons. I don't consider it a HP gaining upgrade. $ for $ you arent gaining much, maybe like 1/2hp from the swap. Also they ussaly take away from spark plug life.

i've had a set of accels and msd both fried on me screw it im sticking to motorcraft!

i've had a set of accels and msd both fried on me screw it im sticking to motorcraft!

I think you must have an underlying issue. I have never heard of anything like this before. Usually they get replaced once, if ever.

Ditto, and BTW they are the identical coil packs as any 4.6 that has a pair. Order them for a Mustang.

One of my favorite 'signatures' I have seen online:

MSD= My Spark Disappeared

I agree with these guys...if you fried your aftermarket ones, you would have just as easily fried your OEM ones...

Ryan

Back