5.0 Swap/good transmission for 02 sport trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 Swap/good transmission for 02 sport trac

Joe Zeni

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer ST
Sup Guys,

I have an 02 sport and I'm the original owner. The engine has 240,000 miles on it and the transmission is probably gonna drop out soon ( I can hear it slipping sometimes).

I hear the late 90's foxbody 5.0 engine mounts fit perfectly in rangers and sport tracs and I want to drop a factory new one in in a year or so. I was wondering what type of transmission can fit/handle the new power (automatic please) and if the current gear ratio, 3.73, will handle it well on the highway.

I use my truck mostly on highways over mountain passes, moderate offroading as the equipment/camping equipment hauler and on road trips, not much daily use.

im no moderator, but i think you are in the wrong forum!

Welcome

Thread moved to the modified 1995-2001 explorer sub forum

Your 2002 2 door sport is built on the 2nd gen ( 1995-2001) chassis so I feel it belongs here.

The common swap is either a 2wd or AWD v8 explorer drivetrain and PCM, the best way to do this is to get a whole donor truck. One which has been totaled might be a good choice.

For trails you will want to then swap in a 4406 transfer case. None of the v6 drive line components will swap over, except for the front and rear axles.

Take a look around this sub forum for ideas.

OOF! In California, I don't think you can and stay street legal.... The V8 that fits your engine bay was discontinued in 2001 and won't pass muster since it's older than your Sport. It's a shame too, The Sports and Rangers look so good with a V8 tucked into them!

The 02 Explorer is a totally different animal than the 02 Sport and the V8 from an 02 requires MASSIVE mods to get shoe horned into the earlier engine bay and frame.

I won't say it can't be done, but ..... not sure it's a practical enterprise for a vast majority of even highly skilled shade tree mechanics.

Back