5.0 swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 swap

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i really need help should i do a 5.0 swap or sup up my 4.0its a 94 sport any one do it that can help me how hard is it is it worth it let me kow thank you all:salute:

First you have to ask yourself a few questions:
1. How much are you looking to spend?
2. How long are you wanting to spend?
3. What is your reasoning for the buildup or swap?
4. If you do the 5.0L swap, can you deal with not having the Explorer as a driver for a few weeks, or possibly a few months?
5. Do you have access to get all the parts for the 5.0L swap? Harness, Engine, Transmission and anything else needed?

When you answer these, you can figure out which will be better for you. I'm not trying to discourage you, but a lot of people talk of doing the 5.0L swap without knowing what they'll be getting into. Each goes into what you're thinking about. Granted 410 did his in a Bronco, he was switching from the same style engine you have to the 5.0L

Here are a few threads to help you out though. Read them, front to back, and THEN make your decision.

Dreaming of one mean 4.0: The Build up - Creager's 1992 Sport

410 fortune - 5.0L EFI 4R70W drivertrain conversion SUCCESS!!

ok thank you how fast can i make my 4.0 with out forced indution

not fast
Its a 4500# 4 door SUV with a 165 HP 235 ft lb torque V6, its never going to be fast

even with the V8 its still not fast

I have 300 HP in a Bronco II, its quick, its a heck of alot of fun to drive, it will pull down a mountain if it needed to, but it still has a difficult time keeping up with a Civic Si

Well, he does have the sport which is not as heavy but it does take money to make it fast.

ok thank you how fast can i make my 4.0 with out forced indution

Do you want it fast, or powerful? Cause depending on what you want is going to determine where you go (as far as build wise). If you want it fast, then you'll want good control, steering, suspension. Which most likely means you'll want to lower at some point and throw on some lightweight rims with low resistance tires.

If you want it powerful, we're talking about lifting and some serious beefing up of the rear end, tranny, and engine.

Research man, research.

i have it dropped and its a two door sport with cold air intake its almost piped out just needs headers trac bars in back stiff ass coils in front bumpy ass ride im looking for rims now or headers i dont know what ones i want more all the emissions **** is out except for a few by passes

If you want it powerful, we're talking about lifting and some serious beefing up of the rear end, tranny, and engine.
Hehe.. lifted doesnt mean powerful. And powerful doesnt require lifted. Plenty of rock crawlers and off roaders have tiny tiny engines -- like in the 1 - 2 liter range (Civic engines, Suzuki engines, and so on...). Plus lifting and putting on larger tires kills power because then the vehicle has more resistance and the engine must rotate a larger torque arm (the tires' radius). Translate that into economic terms, then you're talking about decreasing MPG and a lighter wallet :)

Power is a measure of work over time. And more often than not, it is the street guys that want that tremendous power. Off roaders are more leisurely because most off roaders are more worried about torque (which is time independent, unlike power), and we accomplish this via gear ratio.

Actually, how to you define fast or powerful? My definition is when you mod your truck and can take almost all production vehicles from the factory, then you're in the "fast or powerful" category.

Power is in the eye of the beholder.

Money is power, so power = money

A brick will fly if you throw it fast enough.

The F-4 phantom comes to mind here--

I say do the swap. It's easy enough if you go carb. Harder for efi.

Without the efi it's all basic stuff. Drill hole here, tighten these bolts, tighten those bolts, cut and payst the aircon plenum hook up tranny, slap on a t-case adapter and go.

Back