Turbo SOHC to Turbo 5.0 V-8 AWD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Turbo SOHC to Turbo 5.0 V-8 AWD

Been a while since ive posted up here. Blew up the SOHC. 10.0 to 1 compression and 20lbs didnt last long. Anyways, picked up a 99 mounty rollover truck with the 5.0 for $450. 77k miles. Working on striping and pulling out the SOHC and doing the 5.0 swap.

My truck:

1996 Explorer SPORT

4.0 SOHC swap.
M50D manual
2wd.

IMG_2784.jpg

WORK in progress.

IMAG0138.jpg

The 99 Mounty DONOR

IMAG0139.jpg

I will get a few more pictures and more details up when i can get outside and take them (raining here right now).

I do need some help with doing the wiring swap between the two. MY sport is a 96 and the mounty is a 99.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So you're going AWD as well?

You might be the only one to throw a 302 in a 2 door.. any ideas for your driveshafts?

You might be the only one to throw a 302 in a 2 door.. any ideas for your driveshafts?

Front driveshaft is the same as a 4 door. rear one is going to have to be a 4 door one shortened.

This is gonna be a cool swap! it should be interesting fitting you're turbo and it's piping in that engine bay, they are a bit cramped with the 5.0's.

by the way, what turbo are you running? will you e doing any mods to the 5.0 before it goes in? e.g. larger chamber heads, etc?

It's been done,

Slammed, have you addressed the fuel system issues? I thinkk 99 is a returnless sytem, and your 96 is a return style tank-
You may need to find a 99-up sport fuel tank with different sensors for the HVAP and fuel tank pressure sensors-I am not sure about this

Sounds like a good project. I would like to see it finished.

This thing is gonna be a beast.

It's been done,

Slammed, have you addressed the fuel system issues? I thinkk 99 is a returnless sytem, and your 96 is a return style tank-
You may need to find a 99-up sport fuel tank with different sensors for the HVAP and fuel tank pressure sensors-I am not sure about this

Sounds like a good project. I would like to see it finished.

I may need a little help in this area. I had planned on visiting the local junkyard and getting a early return style fuel rail.

The biggest issue i can see so far is getting the wiring to work with the 96 body harness. I may just end-up going to the junkyard and pulling a whole body harness out of a 99 sport, or getting the under hood wiring from a 96 v-8

This is gonna be a cool swap! it should be interesting fitting you're turbo and it's piping in that engine bay, they are a bit cramped with the 5.0's.

by the way, what turbo are you running? will you e doing any mods to the 5.0 before it goes in? e.g. larger chamber heads, etc?

Its going to be a challenge, i am going to delete the A/C stuff from under the hood, remove the coolant overflow / washer tank. Going to have to fabricate up some manifolds. Have not got this far into the swap yet. Motor will be stock other than a set of 42lb injectors.

Progress...

IMAG0141.jpg

IMAG0142.jpg

IMAG0143.jpg

IMAG0144.jpg

IMAG0145.jpg
IMAG0146.jpg
IMAG0147.jpg

Looking good.

Do you know exactly what let go in the old motor? 20 LBS of boost on that motor was bound to find it's way outside somehow but I'm interested in what went.

Looking good.

Do you know exactly what let go in the old motor? 20 LBS of boost on that motor was bound to find it's way outside somehow but I'm interested in what went.

Believe it or not, it broke the timing chain guide for the rear chain. motor only had 36k when i put it in. also lost the #3 cylinder due to a bad fuel injector.

your not gonna run torque monsters on the new 5.0?

New motor is getting turbocharged, so nope manifolds will be custom one off pieces.

Motor is out.

IMAG0150.jpg

Transfer case

IMAG0151.jpg

Come along gave out when it was up about a foot in the air. :mad:. I now need a oil pan.

I think I may have my Oil Pan Still....I put mine in a 1st Gen, so I use a Dual Sump.

My pan is from a `97 GT-40P (build date of 10-96)

Let me know if you need it.

Ryan

All plastic guide

Believe it or not, it broke the timing chain guide for the rear chain. motor only had 36k when i put it in. also lost the #3 cylinder due to a bad fuel injector.

Even the "improved" rear guide assembly still has no metal backing on the traction side to keep it from fracturing. One member recently experienced a bent valve on cylinder #3 when his chain slipped due to broken rear guide assembly.

The 99 and later models with the returnless fuel system have the fuel pressure regulator mounted in the tank and a fuel pressure damper mounted on the fuel rail. The fuel pressure runs 60 to 65 psi at engine start and any time engine is running.

There were significant wiring changes implemented in 1998. What year PCM do you plan to use? The 1999 PCM will have a PATS interface that the 1996 won't have. There are other differences in the OBD-II firmware. I suspect it will be simpler to stick with the 1996 PCM since it's hardware should support the V8. Some of the PCM connector functions changed between 1996 and 1999 when VIS was eliminated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well the V8 along with AWD has me very interested. I've thought about going AWD a few times simply because of traction problems. I like this project.

Back