• Register Today It's free!

5.0L AWD front axle

Dan Ferguson

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
The CVC joint boot on my front axel (between the transfer case and the front diff) failed so i got a replacement axle (Advance Auto) but i can't get it in. It is too long by about half an inch it seems. I wish I still had the old one to compare with but it's already gone - core charge. (I won't make that mistake again.)

Does anyone know how long it should be? Are there different length shafts in other Explorer models?

Thanks for the help.

Dan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The front axles are all the same lenght. There is a difference between the lect & right axle shafts howevere.

Where is it 1/2" to long? Where it goes into the diff housing or where it goes into the spindle?

I woudl be sure to advise the guys at Advance Auto about their computer failure... selling you the wrong part not knowing there are two

ooops
he's talking about the front Drive shaft-and yes there are 2 lengths--actually 2 from 97-98

you must measure between the welds-and I suspect you need the 22 3/4" version rather than the 23 7/8"

It is long between the front diff and the 4404 transfer case. There isn't enough room to put the U-joint together at the front diff when I put the cvc joint end into the transfer case.

Maybe it's my lack of mechanical skills. I did manage to replace the lower ball joints but I had pictures from a thread on this site to go by;)

jtsmith--
I'll have to measure when I get home. Thanks for the info.

It wouldn't be my first run in with Advance's computer system. They sent me to 4 different stores last weekend trying to find lug nuts & studs. The computer said they had'em but they weren't on the shelf.

ooops
he's talking about the front Drive shaft-and yes there are 2 lengths--actually 2 from 97-98

you must measure between the welds-and I suspect you need the 22 3/4" version rather than the 23 7/8"

Doh! missed that key info.

I took the drive shaft back to Advance and compared it to the old one (luckily they still had it). Sure enough - the new one was about an inch longer.

Their computer showed two different part numbers with different lengths but they just clicked the first one I guess.

They ordered the correct part with expedited shipping at their cost. So hopefully today I can put it in and be back on the road.

How critical is the bolt torque on the u-joint?

it is inportant to make shure they are tight. personaly i use the german setting on my ratchet. Gooten tight:confused:

Back