5.0L Headers

tmanson

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Minnneapolis, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 5.0L XLT
With availability to get 5.0L headers from FMS gone, the search for an aftermarket company is under way. I talked to one company www.ssheaders.com and they expressed that they would want about 30 people interested and would not be able to start the project until later this fall. I did not get any info on the price, but I would guess that aftermarket headers will be in the $300-$400 range, give or take.

This thread is not to start the project with any specific company, just to find out what the level of interest is. If you know of someplace that makes headers, contact them, reference this thread, see what they can do and let us know.

So if you are ready to install a set, going to in the future, or just thinking about it, post a message.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interested

I am very interested in headers for my 1997 5.0L, I have been looking for them for a while now! I want to do a full true dual exhaust, including higfh flow cats to replace the stock 4!!!! Let me know about any deals or leads.

I think I might have a leak on my passenger side, so I might consider getting some if they dont charge both arms and both legs.. I need at least 1 of each to drive

I could have sworn I read somewhere a header swap would make no diff on the 5.0? even if not it seems to me by looking at the OEMS that they dump the 1st 2 cylinders through the same pipe that the 3rd cyl. is on so it seems like it'd be very restrictive..

After I put my FMS headers on it seemes more responsive on the freeway... I also know a guy thats looking at trying to build some headers for the 5.0's right now... I'll try and keep you guys informed on the progress of that...

I would be interested in headers.

I would buy a pair.

Yes..but please

Yes, butin this post, we hope to convince a manufacturor that a lot of us X guys want headers, and I am sure a lot more will want then as they acquire for sale 95+ Explorer's. Email me guys and I will start a list of people(name, email address if you want, headers wanted) for explorers and we wil see what happens...

count me in! I have posted several things on this and have contacted many header companys... they all wanted $1000 plus or didnt even want to bother.

The thing is... we need something better then the crappy FMS ones.... we need a real header!! 1 5/8 to 1 3/4" primaries... all seperate... not joining ones like the FMS headers.

I could have sworn I read somewhere a header swap would make no diff on the 5.0

------------- I cant believe our trucks even run with the factory headers... have you ever removed one and looked at it???!!!!! When I went to install my FMS headers i could not believe my eyes after seeing the original ford headers

keep us updated!!

Im in...

I e-mailed them a while ago and never got a responce.... so I just e-mailed them again... letting them know that we are really interested. I need headers bad.... my FMS ones are really holding me back in making HP!!!

yes I've seen the oem heders, I agree with you, I can't beleive the engine even runs like this.. I mean it dumps the 1st 2 cylinders THROUGH the 3rd cylinders port... it seems to me that would severley choke the 3rd one down signifigantly

but I dunno, I coyuld have sworn someone on this forum said not to bother looking into headers cos they make no performance difference, considering they will potentially cost $400, thats an awful lot for no performance difference.. but if they were wrong.. I mean.. my factory header on the passenger side clicks, so I guess it has a hole in it, 2nd time since 1997 so.. I would definatley like to consider these aftermarket ones just for that reason if not performance

i think you are thinking of the V-6 guys.... if I remember correctly they are the ones that said headers for the V-6 did nothing.

Depending on price i may be interested.

Don't be too hard on those 5.0 FMS headers. I have a pair and have checked milage twice, towing a travel trailer on two hard 600 miles plus trips. Conservatively, I have picked up 1.0-1.5 real world miles per gallon increase while towing. Yep, the exterior looks wierd but they work a lot better than the stock OE headers! Mike

I agree.... the FMS headers are much better then the factory ones.. no dought about it.... but with 11lbs of boost they are not helping at all. I need my engine to breath a little better and right now my headers are my week link.

the FMS headers are fine if your motor is stock. if you've got boost, heads, cam, etc, they are a restriction.

Are they going to be short or long tube? Can we get rid of the cats and use those MIL thingies that plug into the O2 sensor harness and keep the "check engine light off". I'm interested if the price is reasonable, there're ceramic coated or stainless, and it's quality construction.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would assume that any company that would take on this project would make shorty headers, something that would bolt in place of the factory ones. There would just be a bigger market in a street-legal header. I am sure anybody would gladly coat the headers for a little extra $$$.

I would prefer long tube. I have a Mustang buddy who has a set of 5.0 long tube headers that I could have, so when I actually own a 5.0 X (soon I hope) I can see what amount of cutting and welding would be involved to make them fit. If it were too much work I would probably be better buying a weld up kit and making my own set. If shorty headers were available I would bolt them in.

I did email ssheaders yesterday to see if I could get some price range and have not herd back yet.

Back