5.0L V8 Swap into 99 Explorer Sport | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0L V8 Swap into 99 Explorer Sport

[QUOTE = 99SportX ; 2541566 ] : cero:

Ese es un explorador muy bien que usted tiene allí .

yes thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

would you mind putting some pictures up so I can see what you mean?

thanks

Si

He just swapped the front flange from a V8 driveshaft onto his V6 shaft. This is done by pressing out the u-joint. V6 & V8 explorers use the same size u-joint so this is possible.

Same length?

He just swapped the front flange from a V8 driveshaft onto his V6 shaft. This is done by pressing out the u-joint. V6 & V8 explorers use the same size u-joint so this is possible.

Clever idea! Thanks for the explanation. Does that mean that the distance from the motor mount to the front flange is approximately the same for the V6/5R55E and the V8/4R70W? If so, that would simplify a double powertrain swap.

StreetRod, I had all 4dr. drivetrain in my Sport. without changing anything...crossmembers worked... motor mounts need to be switched though... all the Sport driveshafts worked with the exception of the flange on the rear driveshaft needing to be swapped, but since you have both driveshafts, just swap them between them... the front you have to persuade to get in... but it is JUST long enough...

The front driveshafts are different lengths according to my driveline shop. Make sure those stay with the drivetrain they came from. They may fit, but the lengths are optimized. I think the V6 front shaft is about an inch longer than the V8's.

The flange to flange lengths on the rear are essentially identical as far as I remember.

I didn't have issues of squeezing it in.. I had to stretch it and then bolt it up... soo... Idk what they are talking about.

how do i find a billet grille for mine like yours has on it now? or any kind of other aftermarket grilles. i really dont like the look of the vertical grille on it. i want (if possible) a horizontal billet grille.

The front end parts are pretty easy to deal with. Since you have no experience, you will likely have the most trouble with the wiring. You need to switch out the turn signal flasher to one from a mountaineer as well as cut off the wiring for the extra bulbs. The mounty only uses one turn signal bulb where the explorer uses two plus one extra small parking light bulb. The flasher looks similar to a relay and is located under the driver side dash near the OBD II port.

You would need:
Header Panel
Grille
LH & RH Headlamp housings
LH & RH Parking light housings
Mountaineer Turn Signal Flasher

This is what it looks like now. Before I had cut and painted over a factory chrome grille. Now I am running a factory painted blue grille from a salvage yard. The paint wasn't perfect on it but it is good enough for me right now and the color matches so I left it.

clean5.jpg

how do i find a billet grille for mine like yours has on it now? or any kind of other aftermarket grilles. i really dont like the look of the vertical grille on it. i want (if possible) a horizontal billet grille.

The new mounty v8 sport limited!! That front end is perfection. I want one!! :)

Eric's truck is beautiful. Get one of the 2000 or 2001 Mountaineer non chrome grilles like his. I have a 2002+ Mountaineer emblem to make fit into mine, I like the design and color a little better.

Attachments

• 2000Grille.JPG
    2000Grille.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 2,018
  • Mounty 2002+ emblem.JPG
    Mounty 2002+ emblem.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 2,037

I'll have to grab a grille like that for a future mod. Thanks!

Those are the only two factory colors it came in, for the two years. I'd bet there are many in salvage yards now. Go at it.

how do i find or or modify another grille(if modify: which one) to get a billet grille insert for a 98-01 mountineer

when u had the painted chrome grille on yours, how did the paint turn out on it? i would rather do that then search for a plastic one even though it would be the easier thing to do. and where did you get the horizontal billet grille for it? oh and what was the cutting you had to do to the factory chrome grille?

Hi guys

I been watching this tread for a year or two now and have been wanting to do this very badly. I finaly bought a exploder, and am going to hopefully do it. I have quite a few questions but the major one i have is wiring. My ex is a 1997. So if i get a 1997 V8 harness with the engine and trans all to gether, will it plug in under the hood. also mine dosent have the computer key, so do i need that module that goes in by the air bag.????

If you guys could point me the rite direction that would be very help full.

also does any one have an almost complete list of whats need to complete this swap?

-mason

99 sportX I want to do the same are there any suspention mods needed?

did you ever get your answer? I have 2001 sport 4.0. I wanted to send current 4.0 to engine builder but didn't know the 4 door version with v8 came out of the box with a few goodies.??????

99 sportX I want to do the same are there any suspention mods needed?

No suspension changes are needed. It's all in the engine/trans work and the related parts. The use of a complete donor vehicle is very helpful. You can piece together the parts needed, but unless you have sources for cheap parts, you will be surprised by how much they cost to buy them all separately from different places.

Basically you change the engine and trans, and everything connected to them which is different, all the way to the wiring harness and PCM. With a V8 donor Explorer/Mountaineer, you have everything to start with, and can pick and choose what things to replace with new as needed. Install new hoses, pulleys(bearing), engine mounts, timing chain, front/rear seals, fluids, filters, valve cover gaskets, u-joints, water pump etc. Those are a given to buy, don't add to the cost all of the other parts you don't get with just buying an engine/trans, if possible. Regards,

I really enjoy this thread .
I have a 2000 sport 5 speed , it had a 4.0 ohv in it .
almost have all the parts ready but i'm just taking my time
on it . i will have the only 2 door 5 speed carb'd Xplorer in
Arkansas that is for sure ...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Donor: 2000 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0L V8 Rollover, 43k miles

May I ask where (ebay or junkyard) you found that and how much you paid?

I'm in the market for a donor, but the 2nd Gens these days that I'm finding on line seem to all be 150K+ miles and $3000.

Back