5.0L V8 Swap into 99 Explorer Sport | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0L V8 Swap into 99 Explorer Sport

i was just looking to put a mountaineer front on my sport as well and someone sent me a link to you thankfully. would it be possible for someone with no experience like myself to sccomplish this task on my own or with a friends help? would a chrome grille be easy to paint black? and where did u get the grille for it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did u paint yours to match your truck's color?

It's easier to buy a painted grille and not too high, the chrome doesn't take paint well.

i didnt know whether they put painted fronts on the mountaineer. did they?

Yes, but just two colors stock. 2000-01 had them in a medium blue and a dull green. You should be able to find one used now, the new price is nearly $200.

The front end parts are pretty easy to deal with. Since you have no experience, you will likely have the most trouble with the wiring. You need to switch out the turn signal flasher to one from a mountaineer as well as cut off the wiring for the extra bulbs. The mounty only uses one turn signal bulb where the explorer uses two plus one extra small parking light bulb. The flasher looks similar to a relay and is located under the driver side dash near the OBD II port.

You would need:
Header Panel
Grille
LH & RH Headlamp housings
LH & RH Parking light housings
Mountaineer Turn Signal Flasher

This is what it looks like now. Before I had cut and painted over a factory chrome grille. Now I am running a factory painted blue grille from a salvage yard. The paint wasn't perfect on it but it is good enough for me right now and the color matches so I left it.

clean5.jpg

A/C question

Hey Eric, nice job on the swap. I'm about to pull a 5.0 outta my 97 EX to put another one in. Is it possible to leave the A/C system intact, or do i need to drain it?

Thanks in advance!

If you can remove the whole system without opening any lines. Means you would have to pull the condensor and radiator and the entire heaterbox all with the motor... I'm pretty sure on that... and that will be quite difficult to pull-off I think.

thanks for the info. i know there are sometimes shortcuts one can take on a job like that. guess not this time.

thanks for the info. i have a buddy of mine that can come recover the freon. i probably wont start until this weekend anyway.

I would be real impressed if someone could pull the V8 without disconnecting any AC lines. It is just best(required) to get it recovered so you have room to work.

The driveshaft I am using is a shortened 4 door V8 shaft. I measured the flange to flange and had a driveline shop shorten and rebalance. The V8 shaft had a higher spline count than my 4.0 OHV shaft. You can use the stock sport shaft, but you have to swap the front flange from a V8 shaft onto it since the t-case bolt flange patterns are different between V6 and V8.

Ok thanks bud, I'm just working out what's what so I hopefully, know what I'm doing when the time comes!

Si

actually i used my original V6 driveshaft.. haven't had any problems... we just changed the flange over to the V8 one at the U-joint. No chopping and welding required.

Bueno tu proyecto, yo tambien hice una en el año 2006 la mia es una Sport 1999 v8 5.8 efi tranmision manual 5 velocidades. tengo unas fotos en mi blog [URL = " http://www.rustiavila.blogspot.com "] Saludos..........

Bueno tu proyecto, yo tambien hice una en el año 2006 la mia es una Sport 1999 v8 5.8 efi tranmision manual 5 velocidades. tengo unas fotos en mi blog [URL = " http://www.rustiavila.blogspot.com "] Saludos..........

hey la tuya era la blanca levantada que estuvo publicada hasta hace poco??? yo estoy tambien en el club explorer de venezuela

por cierto creo que el pana no entendio nada jajaja

Epale, si vale jajaja me dio mucha risa lo de que no me entienden nada que le pongan el traductor de google jajaja

:scratch:

That is a pretty cool explorer you have there.

091.jpg

lol I just find a friend from the explorer's club of venezuela

BTW you got a very nice truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

actually i used my original V6 driveshaft.. haven't had any problems... we just changed the flange over to the V8 one at the U-joint. No chopping and welding required.

would you mind putting some pictures up so I can see what you mean?

thanks

Si

Back