5.0L V8 Swap into 99 Explorer Sport | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0L V8 Swap into 99 Explorer Sport

Hey 99sportX, did you have to swap the transmission cross member too, or did the v6 one work with the 4r70w??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I used the original one from my V6 sport. I had the cross member from the V8 and I don't believe I could find any differences between the two so as far as I am concerned, they are all the same.

I so wish you weren't in MN, I'm in MI and I just seized my V6, I already have all the donor stuff, I just need to figure the wiring and then a few rebuilds, of trans, and engine.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I will do my best to help you out.

Ok, so I have the entire harness... fuse box and all, but do I really need to swap everything, or just putting in the v8 computer and engine/trans. harness plugged into the original harness work?? Just wondering, b/c I can swap the rest if I absolutely have too.

I'm waiting on my re-ring/main bearings, rod bearings to come in, I had to get new injectors... and now I'm waiting on my cousin b/c he's sending me a cam that he used to have in one of his 'stangs... so I might be anyother week or so before there's some more progress...

What model is the harness from? Ford changed the harness a lot after 1997, so a later harness would need more work to swap it in. If the V8 harness is a 96/97, I'd definitely keep the old one in and just swap in the needed V8 wires. Eric did his swap with same later model harnesses(old/new), so he also just changed the few wires needed. Only for swapping before and after the 97/98 models might it be better to swap the whole engine bay harness. You can tell them apart by the shape of the Power Distribution Box. The later 98-01 PDB is longer and narrower than the 95-97 PDB. Do note that the Sport models on 2001 started to get a newer PDB as well, a shorter and wider box, with all new different fuses and relays. That could be a big mess for those truck owners to swap from.

Saved this to faves as it's gonna be coming in handy... I just need to research putting in an elec tcase from an Expedition and I should know what I'm doing then... Should!!

Si

Yeppers... the V8 stuff all came from a 97, and my sport is a 97...

SWEET...so I shouldn't have to change the engine bay wiring... just the trans/engine wiring harness with the v8 computer...

AND my parts came in so I'm out to tear into the bottom end with new bearings... :)

Ditto, again. Have fun and eat lots.

Engine Swap A/C questions

I've started planning a V8 swap for my SOHC V6 Sport. I'm wondering what other members have done regarding the A/C when upgrading to a V8.

1. Will the V6 A/C compressor unit bolt on to the V8 A/C compressor mounting bracket? Or does the V8 A/C compressor have to be used?

2. Does the V6 A/C condensor have to be replaced with the V8 A/C condensor or can it be left in place?

3. What about changes to A/C lines?

4. I'm planning to have two complete vehicles before and after the powertrain swaps (4 door SOHC V6/5R55E and 2 door V8/4R70W). I want to minimize A/C changes. It would be great if I could just leave the A/C pressurized, lay the compressor aside while removing the V6, and then bolt it back up to the V8 when installed.

I'd ask Eric about his V8 Sport. I think the compressor is different, and he just did replace his. Maybe it's the same, I've never read of about that.

The condenser is different because it mounts to the radiator which must be swapped. I like the V6 condenser mounting better, that slick metal bracket under it is very good. The V8 doesn't have that, the parts are pushed forward a bit.

I gotta throw in another Q for ya too, Eric: Did you have to swap over the V8 brake booster??

I've started planning a V8 swap for my SOHC V6 Sport. I'm wondering what other members have done regarding the A/C when upgrading to a V8.

1. Will the V6 A/C compressor unit bolt on to the V8 A/C compressor mounting bracket? Or does the V8 A/C compressor have to be used?

2. Does the V6 A/C condensor have to be replaced with the V8 A/C condensor or can it be left in place?

3. What about changes to A/C lines?

4. I'm planning to have two complete vehicles before and after the powertrain swaps (4 door SOHC V6/5R55E and 2 door V8/4R70W). I want to minimize A/C changes. It would be great if I could just leave the A/C pressurized, lay the compressor aside while removing the V6, and then bolt it back up to the V8 when installed.

Sorry for the late reply.

1. I am not sure if it will bolt up, but the clutch is visually different so I would say that the compressors themselves are different. I would plan on swapping.
2. I used the condenser from my V6. While the condenser mounts to the radiator differently, the actual condenser is the same.
3. Plan on swapping lines as well. The routing is different. The suction line runs across the top of the engine on the V8 and I believe it goes under the front on the SOHC. The line from the condenser to the evaporator is likely the same, but everything else is different.
4. Sorry, it isn't that easy. :)

Spas, I did swap the brake booster. I was not sure if they were the same and I had the V8 one from the donor. The V8 one had a 5.0 sticker on it so I thought they may be different. It was easy enough to change with the engine out so I just took care of it.

Power steering?

Thanks for the response. I noticed that Rock Auto had different part numbers for the V8 A/C compressor vs the V6 A/C compressor. Looks like the A/C systems' refrigerant will have to be recovered, the systems swapped and then evacuated and recharged.

What about the power steering pump? Did you have to swap them as well?

Dale, those PS pumps are different also. They look similar and both are very high. I'd hunt a lower mileage Ford pump if possible. I bought a new V6 part from Ford for about $145, and for my V8 I got a used Ford pump to save money.

I was under the impression that the pumps were the same on SOHC and 5.0. I just thought the lines were different. I haven't looked too closely though.

Hey Eric, it was 2005 when I bought the V6 pump. My Ford parts guy said they were different, but similar prices though. I personally don't like them now. They are small and compact, but they aren't as strong as the old pumps, Ford or Saginaw. I'd love to be able to swap to a Saginaw pump, if it wasn't too complicated. These Explorer PS pumps do have a really nice bolt on pulley, but that's about their only good feature. Night,

Pats?

Thanks Eric for the power steering reply.

I believe that your 99 had PATS and was wondering what you did about it. Did you disable PATS with a custom tune, have the PCM reprogrammed by a dealer or locksmith, or swap out all of the door and ignition locks?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dale,

For the PATS issue, I swapped the ignition cylinder along with PATS module above the airbag from the donor. As a result I have a different ignition and door key. I have been meaning to get the PATS system reprogrammed at a dealer so I can use my original keys, but I may just do the pcm reprogram with the SCT xcal 3 since I already have one. I am not sure what James would charge me to add the feature to all my tunes but I am sure it is a better deal than going to a dealership.

Back