5r55e no 2-3 shift need help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5r55e no 2-3 shift need help

Reaction score
City, State
Wiggins MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer
So the trans has always shifted fine one day it wouldn't move at all in drive pulled into 2 which is manuall 3rd and got it rolling shifted into drive and it hit 4th and then 5th. After that day when I take off in drive no matter if it's cold or hot it shifts from 1st to 2nd then when it goes to hit 3rd it just revs like its in neutral I have to let the rpms drop all the way to idle then it hits 3rd. Also when slowing down it will not downshift unless you are at a complete stop. So I did some research and replaced the upper and lower valve body gaskets, the epc solenoid, the intermediate and overdrive servos, adjusted the bands to spec and power flushed the fluid with fresh merc v along with a new filter. I tested all the solenoids while I was in there and all tested perfect. After all that work nothing changed it's still the same as before. No od light flash or codes at all. I see a tsb for a PCM reflash to fix some shifting problems but I don't know if that's the issue. Any help at all is great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This morning on the drive to work the first few shifts into third went perfect shifted great then went back to its original stupidity. So I know it can shift into third on its own but just refuses to do so.

Now today I played with the band adjustments thinking it might help. I set the intermediate band to spec and wrenched the OD band adjustment out like 7 full turns. I now have all gears except 5th. Shifts 1-4 beautifully and downshifts smooth as butter but now 5th so my RPMs are about 500 higher at 65 but I'm to the point of to hell with it i'm going to drive it like this till it dies. I tried turning it in a little and test drive it and the turn it in a little more and test drive again but couldn't find a common ground to have both 3rd and OD its either or. I would like to know if anyone know why having the band set to spec kills 3rd gear. When i originally adjusted the bands the OD band adjuster was about 10 full turns out of spec maybe the OD clutches are fried and having the adjustment that far in wont let the OD servo release and engage the intermediate servo. I don't know someone shed some light on this.

The overdrive band is for 2nd and 5th, if the band adjustment is out 7 to 10 turns the band can't apply and you will lose 2nd and 5th. It may have dropped one of the band anchors being that loose, and you may have to pull the transmission apart to get that back in. Tighten the band adjustment and back off no more than two turns.

The shift flare into 3rd could be a faulty solenoid, the one next to the EPC solenoid. It may check fine electrically but wont work mechanically, they can clog up.

That's what's so confusing is that I still have 2nd with the band adjuster fully out. I just lost 5th and now it shifts 1-4 beautifully but with the adjuster set to two turns out no third at all with an occasionally slipping second but I have 5th. I drove 60 miles to work today with no 5th but it shifted all other gears perfect every time. I know that 2nd is just an overdriven 1st so if the adjuster is that far out how does 2nd work perfect but not 5th?

I'm in exactly the same boat, but just ready to try the VB gasket repair - did you get it figured out ?

Coast clutch wasn't letting overdrive servo disengage. Complete rebuild of the valve body is what it's going to take I have just been driving with overdrive off and said to hell with it.

If you were starting from scratch again with this problem, and haven't repaired it yet - would you buy more parts - or less ? What do you think had the most impact on solving your problem ? Where did you buy your parts ? Thanks...

I would buy everything I would need to completely rebuild the valve body. All the parts I have changed have helped but I haven't cured it completely. I would recommend changing the EPC solenoid and valvebody gaskets along with a superior shift kit. Just search for the valve body rebuild diary and go for that. I'm in the process of buying another already rebuilt valve body and going from there with it.

Back