5R55W -2002 Ford Explorer - Servo Replacement Saga. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55W -2002 Ford Explorer - Servo Replacement Saga.

What about using a blow gun with a rubber tip? Compressed air should push it out. You'll have to place the tip of the blow gun in one of the valve body's slots.

Tried that. It's broken off too far in. Its just the last 3/4 inch or so.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know that this will sound odd, but since there are no other options, did you try to loosen the band adjustment stud, and drive the pin further in until the band apply anchor strut & pin fall out?

I haven't tried that. That would still mean disassembling the tranny to put it back together, right? Or is there a way to reinstall the strut without comletely dismantling the tranny?

I'm going to try the epoxy one more time. I noticed unusually jeep filled the entire cylinder with epoxy. My stud seems to keep breaking off due to side loads and I haven't filled the entire post it note with epoxy yet. Have it curing now and hoping for the best.

Also,
I still have the opportunity to pick up a low mileage 5r55s for real cheap. Was working great when pulled. I have searched a ton, and the speculation is that it won't work because of the different gear ratios. But I can't find where anyone actually swapped them and tried. If the only down side is a blinking OD light, I can live with that while I repair the other transmission.

I know they physically bolt up, but anyone know for sure if:
1. the transmission works with no problems
2. the transmission works with no problems but has a blinking OD light
3. the transmission doesn't work at all.

Thanks
Jason

Well,
No luck getting the pin out, but I did buy the low mileage 5r55s out of and install it in place of the 5r55w. It works perfect. Shifts as it should. No blinking OD light. I've read a few threads that say it won't work or it will throw a blinking OD light, but I'm just confirming that you can put a 5r55s inplace of 5r55w.

Now I'm going to tackle dismantling the 5r55w to get the pin out.

Thanks for all the input, all.

Jason

According to the tag, the tranny was from a 2004 mountaineer or aviator.

Well,
No luck getting the pin out, but I did buy the low mileage 5r55s out of and install it in place of the 5r55w. It works perfect. Shifts as it should. No blinking OD light. I've read a few threads that say it won't work or it will throw a blinking OD light, but I'm just confirming that you can put a 5r55s inplace of 5r55w.

Now I'm going to tackle dismantling the 5r55w to get the pin out.

Thanks for all the input, all.

Jason

From what I know you can do this swap in the early model (pre 04) vehicles, the later vehicles computer is more sensitive and will set gear ratio codes. I am not sure on the year but its around 04.

Glad to hear you got it back on the road!

You guys can use the epoxy and hope it doesn't stick in the bore of your tranny, I made a bushing that was .0005 smaller OD and with an ID about .0002 smaller than the undercut section where the damn shaft broke. Just a little pressure locked the bushinng on the broken piece and out it came with ease.

hey guys what is the size of the cooler line for 2002 ford explorer with the 5r55s tranny,i want to put a hose on it to replace the leaking line

Back