5R55W full fluid change ?? 02XLT 4.6L | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55W full fluid change ?? 02XLT 4.6L

red82gt

Reaction score
City, State
Kelowna
Year, Model & Trim Level
2022 Explorer ST
Hello, right now I'm fearing the worst with my trans in my 02 XLT 4.6L. The previous owner had the dealership change the filter and fluid at 70,000km. I had to replace the solenoid body and replaced the Valve body gasket as well to cure it from hesitating to go into reverse or back into drive, the shuddering shift, the flashing O/D light, etc... I did this at 124,000km along with replacing the fluids that I could get out of it (about 4 quarts) and the transmission filter. I used the Motorcraft filter and Mercon V fluid bought from the ford dealer. The fluid that came out of it then was in good shape and replacing the solenoid block made it feel like a new vehicle.
Fast forward to a couple weeks ago, 135,000km, the check engine light and the flashing O/D light came on while climbing a hill and the truck would not go into 5th gear. Shut it down and re-started it and the O/D light was gone but the check engine light remained. The flashing O/d Light has come on a couple more times (always after long highway drives in mountainous terrain)but the check engine light is now off. I haven't had the chance to read the codes yet but I took the drain plug out to get a look at the fluid and it is a murky brownish-red and has a burnt smell to it. Not good, especially with only 11,000km since I serviced it. The transmission still shifts excellently except in hilly terrain at highway speeds-I turn the OD off for any hill that the truck might possibly have to downshift to try and avoid this from happening.
I want to flush ALL the fluid out including the converter but I don't know what's involved to do this. Is specialized gear needed to do this?
Also, what is a good code reader to get that can read transmission codes as well?
I'm pretty sure that the OD band has packed it in though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would suggest that you read the codes with a scanner which is capable of reading Ford proprietary codes. Not all scanners or code readers are capable of reading manufacturer specific codes.

Can you point me as to which scanners are capable of reading proprietary codes? I'm pretty close to just breaking down and taking it to a shop as it is going to at least need all the fluid swapped out.

The better quality (more expensive) scanners could read these codes. Not all inexpensive code readers are capable of reading them.
By more expensive, which range are we talking about? I know the $90 cheapies are one step above useless but how about the $300-400 scanners? Or do you have to get into the $1000+ Professional setups?
The truck is in the shop getting checked right now as I don't have time to wait for a scanner to be ordered in right now. I do want to get one to deal with problems later on but I want to try and avoid killing this transmission in the meantime.

Some places like Autozone will read the codes for free (but not on all models). There are scanners in the $150 - $300 price range which could read these kind of codes. The scanners in the $1k range could read just about every code (ABS, SRS, manufacturer specific codes, etc). Do a search on the Modis. Here's one link to start with: http://www.btstransmissions.com/quick_facts.htm

Thanks for the links Brooklyn.
Anyways, the code is P0735 "incorrect 5th gear ratio"
The shop dripped out a bit of the fluid and it didn't smell burnt and they said that it looked fine. They recommended replacing the solenoid block and/or checking the valve body with a small possiblilty being the PCM.
This was the only code that was generated and the problem only shows up after a lengthy drive in mountainous terrain. Since I replaced the solenoid block 11,000km ago, it's kinda doubtful that it is the problem-or if it is the problem, there must be another system that is causing them to fail.
What are your guy's thoughts on this?

Sometimes that code could be related to a band adjustment or a leaking servo piston.
I read up on the band adjustment and I'll make sure that they are in spec first. If they are in spec, I'll replace the overdrive servo seeing as it is an inexpensive part.
Thank You.

Back