5r55w slight slipping and od flashing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5r55w slight slipping and od flashing

cjay175

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer
Hey everyone new to the forum, I have a 5r55w 2002 explorer and am in Canada.

Been reading this forum for a few days now trying to figure out where to start.

At first the explorer wasn't going in reverse at all, just rev'd without movement and it seemed like all the gears were slipping and hard to get into.

I decided to tighten the two bands up and it seemed to have fixed the reverse great and the forward gears somewhat.

starting in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd it will go, but when driving it seems to have to go upto 4500 to get into 4th and the o/d is still flashing and when you switch into od it just revs. Also I am getting error P1700.

I've been reading and it seems most have changed either torque converter or solenoid.

Im just wondering where a good place to start might be, I have also read about those machined servos you can change that have been successul. Any help appreciated?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

P1700 is one of those codes that don't really tell you anything, just says transmission problems. Pull the servos and see if the stem hole in the case is elongated, if one or both is elongated then the servos with O rings machined in the stem will work. This can be done without pulling the trans. The right fix is to bore out the case and install brass bushings but requires removal and dis assembly. Adjust the bands to spec, over adjusting them can cause a band to break or mess up the release timing and probably cause rough shifts. The torque converter would not cause gear slipping or a gear to fail to engage.

Thanks for the reply, I will start with the servos then I guess and order them.
Also is there any specific place for parts in Canada that someone might use online? Thanks

I forgot this before, the bands that you tightened have nothing to do with reverse,. I would not buy those servos unless the holes in the case are sloppy, they should fit the servo stem very close, any looseness will cause pressure loss. The solenoid block could need replaced. You should get an ATSG 5R55w transmission manual.

Thanks for the update. I was thinking of just installing a new solenoid, filter, valve body and servos (maybe now). I was hoping to throw this in and have the transmission work long enough until I could purchase a rebuilt or reman from somewhere. I suppose worst case I have to take it out and get help rebuilding it but at least those parts will be changed already.

Back