5R55W transmission on 03 explorer leaking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55W transmission on 03 explorer leaking

lcraib

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford explorer
Ok so I notice fluid leaking from the pan gasket two weeks ago dropped the pan put a new filter in rubber gasket put pan back filled it with the plug as you supposed to wile running closed it test drive it started leaking again thought maybe I pinched the gasket so redid it this time used make a gasket... Still leaked in the same spot dropped it again this time ordered the exact gasket that was on there ( 16 hole metal trim rubber gasket down the center ) put it on tighten it down filled it up ran it for 30 mins no leaks next day it's leaking same spot just below the shift linkage. ....

I'll take any suggestions , advice ,or leads to what could be causing this or if i missed something

Thank you

I would think think its not the pan gasket they rarely leak unless the is damage to the pan or the case.

Look above it maybe the servos or band adjustment nuts or the linkage seal, case connector etc.

Picture?

I would think think its not the pan gasket they rarely leak unless the is damage to the pan or the case.

Look above it maybe the servos or band adjustment nuts or the linkage seal, case connector etc.

Picture?

No pictures at the moment will try and get some . where i saw fluid was right where the pan and trans touch with the gasket in place but the linkage is directly above where,im seeing the little bit of fluid

While I'm under the car and it's running i may see a little fluid come out just enough to see the red doesn't even drip but after driving and I park it there's a 2 inch puddle

@Icraib
This situation suggests a CRACK in the transmission case, either right at the gasket sealing surface, or maybe above it. This assumes you have verified the leakage is not coming from higher up on the case. Unless you are able to carefully pinpoint the location of the leak, it may be very difficuilt to resolve. imp

Back