BIGHVM

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
UK, Richmond, Surrrey.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Northface
Ok, been thinking!
How effective is the fifth shock, I cant imagine it does much at all really, Does any one have any experiance of running without it at all?
Would a modified mount system handle a full size shock and be more effective, also why is there just one and placed where it is?
If the standard shocks are changed out for say for example, Bilsteins or Gabs, how much better are they?
Also would they have any effects on the stock fifth shock?
I dont bknow of any other cars with a fifth shock, I may be wrong but why did ford put one in and has anyone modded and added another on the opposite side, any results in improvment of ride?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

dont know but it came in handy when i took a scrap engine to the breakers in the back switched her on and it levelled nicely,

i think it helps on the body roll aswell???

Hmmm I would love to change it for a new one in the hope that it could only improve things- part from fruads were can we get them in the uk, any ideas?

On this side of the pond, I ran my '01 Explorer without it an noticed no significant change in the performance. You will find that many have removed it or just not replaced it with no significant change in the handling.

You know thats what I thought........its such an iffy thing to do from Ford....a fifth shock- who else does that, to be honest if the Ex had proper suspension, ie, springs and shocks instead of the ancient roman bendy metal leaf springs it really would be a world beater. I have no idea why the brains at fraud used, two things in these cars- plastic chain tensioners and leaf springs, they have to be the biggest f up in car design and I mean EVER. Well lets face it who would have even suspected that plastic rubbing against metal would break up and fail, or that leaf springs would IMPROVE ride over tried and tested springs and shocks for damping?
I just dont know- wish the team at Ford who designed the Ex would chip in and explain.

Also has anyone here ever converted the leaf springs to a proper damping system, is that even possible- I bet it is!

The fifth shocks is for side to side stability, because of the truck type of suspension, tall height etc. If you don't push your truck in corners much than you may see no difference without it. I drive mine like a car, hard, everywhere. I bought five Bilstein's, and that fifth shock was very hard to install. The internal pressure is hard to hold crushed while installing the bolts. Regards,

you guys are so very lucky over there- here if we can even get aftermarket suspension, its your price plus 100 percent and then vat. Further more if we order from the States, the delivery is mostly more than the price! Makes upgrading or even looking after the Ex in the UK very hard- we would love to have access to all thats available to you at the same prices- guess if the Ex was sold for longer than its 4-5 years here and in numbers, we would have uk suppliers for these parts. Think we need a parts run on a container ship under cover of darkness to land in Lulworth cove..........Shhh keep that quiet- its a plan in the hatching!

Back