• Register Today It's free!

88 Bronco II Wont Start-Help!

BF

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'88 Bronco II
Ok well i have an 88 bronco II and the other day when i was driving it started sputtering like it was out of gas (my gas hand wasnt completely on E but it is an 88 so it could read wrong) and then it cut off> I tried starting it back but nothing, so i put 5 gallons of gas in and still nothing. It starts up maybe every 1 out of 5 or 6 cranks but then dies after a second or 2 and if you try and give it gas it dies. Its a Fuel Injected 2.9 and i just replaced the fuel filter today. Still didnt help, so where should i go now? If it was the fuel pump it wouldnt be getting fuel to crank to begin with right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not sure on this one, but I've heard that it is difficult to start a fuel injected engine after it's ran out of gas. If so you can try spraying some starter fluid in the intake somehow. Also try turning on the ignition key to on and listen for the hum of the fuel pumps running. Let them run until they stop humming and then wait about 10 seconds and try to start.

Thanks man, I'll go try that in a few and let you know how it goes. Anybody else with som input?

1988 Bronco II has two fuel pumps, an in tank boost pumpm and a rail mounted high pressure pump, both must be running for the engine to start and run

First you should listen for both pumps to prime, they will prime for 1-2 seconds each time the key is turned from OFF to RUN (Not to start)
listen to the fuel tank, should hear a pump
listen to the frame rail just below drivers seat, should hear a pump

if you dont hear anything, check the fuel pump replay

if you do hear one or both pumps the next step is to check fuel pressure at the fuel rail, a simple $3 round/dial type tire gage can be used once or twice to check fuel pressure, the fuel will ruin the gage

Let us know what you find, because you said it starts and runs for a second every 5-6 tries, I am going to agree this is likely a fuel issue

how many miles on this 88?

Ok well i have an 88 bronco II and the other day when i was driving it started sputtering like it was out of gas (my gas hand wasnt completely on E but it is an 88 so it could read wrong) and then it cut off> I tried starting it back but nothing, so i put 5 gallons of gas in and still nothing. It starts up maybe every 1 out of 5 or 6 cranks but then dies after a second or 2 and if you try and give it gas it dies. Its a Fuel Injected 2.9 and i just replaced the fuel filter today. Still didnt help, so where should i go now? If it was the fuel pump it wouldnt be getting fuel to crank to begin with right?

you need Air/fuel and spark to run... the relay's
There are 3 of them black, green, brown, black one is A/C the other 2 are fuel and for your igintion system ( middle one is fuel ) on mine cannot remember color ( i am color blind )

like the others said listen to your pumps, if your pumps are good. so then check for spark at the plugs and then coil if none at the plugs.
But when mine did what you are describing it was the Ing Control mod, located on the back of the distributer. held in place with 2 5.5 mill bolts a 1/4 long or deep socket and a thumb rachet work real well for removal. they are sunk onto hole's a mirror will help. let us knowhow u make out!!!

1988 Bronco II has two fuel pumps, an in tank boost pumpm and a rail mounted high pressure pump, both must be running for the engine to start and run

First you should listen for both pumps to prime, they will prime for 1-2 seconds each time the key is turned from OFF to RUN (Not to start)
listen to the fuel tank, should hear a pump
listen to the frame rail just below drivers seat, should hear a pump

if you dont hear anything, check the fuel pump replay

if you do hear one or both pumps the next step is to check fuel pressure at the fuel rail, a simple $3 round/dial type tire gage can be used once or twice to check fuel pressure, the fuel will ruin the gage

Let us know what you find, because you said it starts and runs for a second every 5-6 tries, I am going to agree this is likely a fuel issue

how many miles on this 88?

Approx 180-190k on my bronco. After messing with it today, i found that there was a small aftermarker pump on top of the gas tank that has been staight wired to two different wires then plugged onto the gas tank and then to a fuel line (the bigger one i think). So my guess is someone didnt take the time to put a new low press pump in the tank and wired this one half-ass to pump fuel from the tank. The high press pump on the frame rail is humming like it should, but this one is kind of popping like it is clogged maybe? I took this off ( un-did both straight wires and unplugged from the tank and from fuel line.) Now, when i turn the ignition to run (not start) i can hear the high press pump still running and nothing at the tanks end. Also, one of the wires (red wire) that was connected to this aftermarket pump i took off went to the engine bay to a plug with a few other wires in it. Maybe this is one of the relays someone just mentioned? Anyways, tomorrow i am going to check for pressure at the rail and go from there. If i have pressure what should i check next? And what if i dont have pressure? Thanks guys!

...So did you replace the low pressure fuel pump in the tank or did you just leave it hillbilly'd??

If it turns out to be the problem, i am replacing it how it should be. But right now i have the hillybilly pump unhooked.

FYI the truck will run with no boost pump, as long as the tank is full,. but as soon as you hit a long hill = trouble! I have limped home like this twice now LOL 300K miles

Well about an hour ago i put the fuel line in a tank of gas and my bronco started right up. So basically i just bypassed the tank since that pump is shot. So i guess i now know that my high pressure pump is fine and i just need to replace the low pressure one. Of course it has to be the one thats a PITA!!! o well thats how it goes, i just hope this fixes it! I'll keep you guys updated and thanks for all the help i very much appreciate it!

Fuel pump pictures:

Sorry fuzzy, best guess to cut location:
fuelpumpcut1.jpg

Looking from underneath, not much clearance above my tank pressure sensor, but there is enough:
fuelpumpcut2.jpg

small hole cut to see how close I was:
fuelpumpcut3.jpg

hole cut, pump removed, look how full the tank is!! would have been a bear to drop: I filed and painted the edges of the stock sheetmetal to prevent rust
fuelpumpcut4.jpg

pump, strainer and sender assembly:
fuelpump5.jpg

custom access panel, blue one side, bed liner the other:
fuelpumpcut6.jpg

fuelpumpcut7.jpg

Made a seal using rubber hose and silicoln:
fuelpumpcut8.jpg

Done and done:

fuelpumpcut9.jpg

fuelpumpdone.jpg

Fuel pump pictures:

Sorry fuzzy, best guess to cut location:
fuelpumpcut1.jpg

Looking from underneath, not much clearance above my tank pressure sensor, but there is enough:
fuelpumpcut2.jpg

small hole cut to see how close I was:
fuelpumpcut3.jpg

hole cut, pump removed, look how full the tank is!! would have been a bear to drop: I filed and painted the edges of the stock sheetmetal to prevent rust
fuelpumpcut4.jpg

pump, strainer and sender assembly:
fuelpump5.jpg

custom access panel, blue one side, bed liner the other:
fuelpumpcut6.jpg

fuelpumpcut7.jpg

Made a seal using rubber hose and silicoln:
fuelpumpcut8.jpg

Done and done:

fuelpumpcut9.jpg

fuelpumpdone.jpg

Hello, I have a 1987 Bronco II with the 2.9 and have just had the exact same trouble. Driving fine one day and suddenly started spluttering then died. Cranks like mad and has good spark, but no fire. Fuel level just below 1/4 tank. Might go fill up the tank and see if it runs ..... ha

I eventually deleted the rail mounted high pressure pump and simply installed a second fuel filter in its place (no plumbing)
Then I used the in tank fuel pump assembly for a 1989 Bronco II which had only one fuel pump in the tank
Never looked back, no more "boost" pump

Ive owned a few of the bronco 2s in the past that periodically suffered from similar issues. It always came down to a plugged inline fuel filter. It would spit and sputter and shut off and not start for days and occasionally fire up. The old tank in my 84 was a little dirty and I had to change the filter more often than the oil haha!

Its a whole lot cheaper and easier to try to swap the filters to see if it fixes the problem first before jumping to the fuel pump.

your 84 was carbed?

The EFi trucks 86-88 use two fuel pumps, boost pump and high pressure rail mounted
In 89-90 the BII had a single in tank pump
A MUCH more reliable setup.

your 84 was carbed?

The EFi trucks 86-88 use two fuel pumps, boost pump and high pressure rail mounted
In 89-90 the BII had a single in tank pump
A MUCH more reliable setup.
Yes the 84 was a carbed 2.8... a much better setup than the fuel injected 88 2.9 I had later on. Both suffered from intermittent fuel delivery problems at higher mileage.

I really miss owning a bronco 2 and have been looking around for the right project. If I get lucky I'll just swap all the parts off of my explorer as a lot of my bolt on stuff will go right on (wheels, rack, light bar, ect).

This was my '88

200147_206303802715160_18228_n.jpg

They are fun to drive, that is for sure!
I see lots of clean one's for sale on Craiglist, Bronco II is not exactly expensive to get your hands on.
2.9L yuck, that Merkur engine should have stayed in sedans
The 4.0L ohv, much better suited to motivate the BII
Easy platform to build on using parts from other RBV, plus its cool to drive the underdog of all Ford trucks and prove the "nay sayers" wrong on the trails and as a daily driver.
I still drive my 88, she's in the shop getting rust fixed right now.....

They are fun to drive, that is for sure!
I see lots of clean one's for sale on Craiglist, Bronco II is not exactly expensive to get your hands on.
2.9L yuck, that Merkur engine should have stayed in sedans
The 4.0L ohv, much better suited to motivate the BII
Easy platform to build on using parts from other RBV, plus its cool to drive the underdog of all Ford trucks and prove the "nay sayers" wrong on the trails and as a daily driver.
I still drive my 88, she's in the shop getting rust fixed right now.....
My '84 went over 300k miles with minor upkeep before I sold it. A true beast but it had limited power. I love the smaller 2 door compared to my XLT.

I would stick to the explorer platform but that James Duff Stage 3 lift for the Bronco 2 has been in my dreams for a decade! There just arnt any kits made for the 2nd gen explorers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are some really nice TTB setups out there, makes for a great weekend warrior / trail rig with a custom TTB under a BII

The 95-01 Explorer and 98-11 Ranger lift kits have come a long way
You can combine a drop bracket lift with some aftermarket upper and lower control arms, ditch the torsion bars, etc etc
Ford

Back