89 Super cab with a 4.0 swap | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

89 Super cab with a 4.0 swap

I didn’t think about taking pictures of it while I was there lol. Next time I go out I’ll get some. I’m usually too busy watching the dirt for tracks and watching dogs to make sure they’re hunting, not playing or eating cow poop lol.

It was a little warm yesterday so I waited until sun down to start working on it. I started beefing up the rear spring packs to handle the weight of my dogs and gear. Took a little longer than I anticipated. Got the passenger side done then started the driver side. Mosquitoes were pretty bad last night and I stopped working on it just before 10:00.
I figured I got around 1-1.5” of lift by adding 2 ranger leafs to the chevy leaf pack. I used the smallest and 2nd to largest leafs from the ranger leaf pack. I may pull the bed sides today and see how much clearance that adds. I cut up the sidewall of my brand new tires on the first trip because they were hitting the rear fenders.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Finished the leafs up. I gained 1” in height unloaded and it only squats about 2” loaded with all 12 of my hounds and 10 extra gallons of gas.

414B0D43-8EE9-4982-AF9A-7A18F00A4BAB.jpeg

Another dog box
Yeeyee

Need some clearance Clarence
Pull those bedsides and a saws all for the front? Flares?

I love the first gen bed with the sides pulled, looks trick. Need to match it up front somehow maybe some glass?

I've seen pictures of a ranger where the guy used a jack in the bed wheel well to flare it out for tire clearance.

Yes that’s called pulled bedsides. There is a simple metal support you cut,
Push them out with a jack and then weld in a patch…. Looks awesome on a gen i

Another dog box
Yeeyee

Yes sir! I hunt lions here in NV.

Need some clearance Clarence
Pull those bedsides and a saws all for the front? Flares?

I love the first gen bed with the sides pulled, looks trick. Need to match it up front somehow maybe some glass?

That’s exactly what I plan to do, along with new rear spring hangers and a shackle flip. I’m hoping that gives me a little more lift. I don’t think I’ll splurge on glass fenders though. I did that on my older ranger years ago. It looked great but I tore them up. I’m gonna keep it metal so I can just hammer it back or just leave it. I will be trimming the fronts and maybe adding some lawn n garden flares if it throws rocks and sand.

My 87 back when it was 1/2 ton. Kept breaking front axle shafts and blowing up 9” diffs. So now it’s got D-60’s under it.

668300EB-54E8-4B00-859E-90EB307E6606.jpeg
DD5B9A3C-D9DB-4BD2-8B0A-B0A4D8FCBABD.jpeg

That thing looks like sex on wheels

Were those fenders original on the truck? I've never seen an 87 with V6 badges

Love the mirrors and the variable rate coils…
Chevy 64’s……..Wicked cool ranger!!

Love the mirrors and the variable rate coils…
Chevy 64’s……..Wicked cool ranger!!

Thanks! I took the mirrors off a 70’s Dodge power wagon. Had to drill the hole in the stock brackets a little bit bigger but they match the truck well and I like the larger mirrors more.
The coils are for an original bronco, I think I got them from wild horses IIRC. They ride good and flex even better. My only issue is that my frame is bent so the passenger coil bulges out pretty bad. I plan to frame swap with a full size Bronco some day. Unless I happen upon a F-150 for dirt cheap.

Hunted a couple days this week. Had a pretty good time. My daughter got to see her first lion and 6 of my pups got to see their first lion. It was a young one so we didn’t harvest it. In hound hunting lingo we call it “Treed and freed”.

The truck is running good but still has a couple bugs.
A surging idle when cruising and put into neutral to coast to a stop.
Leaf packs are still too light.
Radius arms clack a lot in the brackets.
Need to fix the AC.

628B527C-9399-4A4F-839D-61C729CE326F.jpeg
96C5A84C-E68B-405D-AB93-2B9E805665E5.jpeg
27BAEBDD-E41C-497F-8BD5-F72780556424.jpeg
4B974446-63E0-4DE3-AC11-8B993FF864D7.jpeg
15ABE667-4856-40D1-80AB-75B610621FCC.jpeg
612BE2EF-D8F4-4972-954E-48B8483D19CB.jpeg
590E16C6-95CF-46C2-83B7-18F8338106BB.jpeg
9E21A114-A370-432E-BF01-362DBA0B75CC.jpeg

You going to add some more leafs to the springs?

You going to add some more leafs to the springs?

I added some last month and that netted about an inch of lift. I’m thinking about adding some 2” add a leafs or maybe just adding air bags. I plan to put onboard air in it so that would be convenient.

Nice
Love the hounds

Nice
Love the hounds
Thank you, they’re all pretty good dogs.

I started playing around with YouTube. I made my first edited video. I’m not looking to go pro or anything, just playing around.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like the mama dog
It's great to see children going hunting in learning skills like that it's almost lost to us

Back