91 Explorer XLT Emergency Brake Light ERROR!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91 Explorer XLT Emergency Brake Light ERROR!!!

Maverick0007

Reaction score
Has anyone had a problem where you have the emergency brake error light stay on even if the emergency brake is not on?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My old one did a couple of time and I think it eventually just went off and started working fine. I fixed it once by setting it and unsetting it a few times. It was just the wire where the pedal hits it when released.

yeah this is funny, it seems like a lot of Fords do this.

The trick is just what FenderGuy said, Jiggle the release a couple times and the light should go off

brake light

yeah mine does that some times. like if i set my parking brake while i am on a hill and i release it, the light will stay on. the sensor for the parking brake is very sensitive. and the reason it stays on is the spring that keep the from sagging gets weak. i have found that when you release it parking brake and push up on the pedal with your foot it goes all the way up and the light doesn't stay on

You can squeeze under the dash and look at the parking brake. there is a little switch on it. usualy this is caused by that switch sticking. play with it some or even spray it with a little WD 40. WD in fact stands for wire dryer. Give it a shot

its the brake switch as mentioned above.
I ahve seen them broken or jsut dirty.
remove it, clean it, re-install it, problem gone.

also I am sorry but the title for tranny swap king was not up for grabs :)
Dont make me list the ones I have had in the BII.....

I just stuck a piece of electrical tape over mine when it did it, also over my CEL light when it was messin around.

WD in fact stands for wire dryer. Give it a shot

Didn't it stand for Water Displacement? (Water displacement test 40) or something.... i guess either way it is doing the same thing :D

410Fortune said:
also I am sorry but the title for tranny swap king was not up for grabs :)
Dont make me list the ones I have had in the BII.....

heh, 5 in my explorer alone in 4 years. not to mention I have done atleast 30 at work in explorers alone. I can easily swap a 4 wheel drive a4ld in under 2 hours on my own. I do believe I have earned the title

how about 6 clutches in one summer, this will be my 7th tranny in my truck including mitsu and mazda 5 speeds, 2 a4ld's and now a 4r70w with AA tailshaft adapter kit :)

2 hours is too fast, slow down......

I was joking anyways, alot of people can stab a trans and we explorer finatics know it better then anyone else!

2 hours isnt too fast. Never had anything wrong afterwords and I could probably rush and go a little faster. I have changed trannies in everything at some point or another. NEVER try to do one in a TR 6. anywho yeah lots of us on here have changed out far too many transmissions.

Maverick0007 said:
Has anyone had a problem where you have the emergency brake error light stay on even if the emergency brake is not on?

Check the fluid level. If it's low, the light will come on.

Back