91 X by black91EB | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91 X by black91EB

I have been a member for a few months on here, and just went elite yesterday, this site has saved me 20 bucks at least so I felt it was well worth it. I have a 1991 Eddie Bauer 4x4 that I have done some minor mods to thus far, and I also completed my first "major" modification yesterday in going to a 1354 Manual case. Found it at a U-Pull-It yard for under $100 including the shifter and boot. In addition I had to change the rear diff cover, something about the stock fiberglass cover not standing up well to a log I had to back over. :(
Anyway, I figured I would start a thread showing what I have done, and add as I make progress, and maybe help some people out in how I did something, and get ideas along the way.
DSCN0676.jpg

Here's what I have now.

DSCN0694.jpg

Manual case really looks good in my truck:D

DSCN0689.jpg

Don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but the shifter that was on the TC when I got it would not clear the transmission shifter. I don't know if they used a different shifter for the manual, since the TC came out of a 91 ex with an automatic. BTW, do NOT try to bend the shifter for clearance, it will break, thus the gorrilla welds. (you know, big strong and ugly)

DSCN0692.jpg

DSCN0691.jpg

There is the broken diff cover, I have a steel one off an f-series on there now. (good thing about being a parts packrat)
Anyway, thats all I have for now, the next thing will probably be some auxilary lighting front and back.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I understand totally what you mean. I figured this site saved me in the hundreds already, so I too became an elite recently. A Quick questin, what is that to the right of your tranny shifter (on the dash) is it a multi-port ?
I know from searching around here and across the web that the shifter rod is different for std and auto trannys.

yes, it is a 3 port 12 volt adapter. I just have it screwed to the underside of the dash, and its plugged into the ashtray. The black thing on the floor is a charger for a streamlight stinger flashlight.

BTW, the electric case and all associated parts (pushbuttons, T-Case shift computer, maybe the wiring harness if its not too much of a pain to pull) are for sale, the case works perfectly, no leaks. The only reason for swapping was that I greatly prefer a manual case.

Cool! I am looking at eventually going to a manual T-case myself, not for "off-roading" just that knowing when I need 4wd I have it. Don't use it often, but when it is needed, ... nuff said

Cool! I am looking at eventually going to a manual T-case myself, not for "off-roading" just that knowing when I need 4wd I have it. Don't use it often, but when it is needed, ... nuff said

yeah, i use mine around the farm alot, and I got real sick of having to come to a complete stop, wait about 5 seconds for the truck to figure out I was stopped, and hold the clutch down to shift into 4Lo. I wasn't planning on doing it this soon, but I couldn't pass up that deal on the case. Funny thing was, I was looking at a mid 80's bII in the yard that had the mitsubishi 5spd and a 1350 manual, and was thinking, man this would be nice if my ex was like this, then 4 cars over on the same row was a 91 ex XLT with this case I bought. I think I was drooling when I saw it. T-case was $75, and the shifter and boot were $15. (shifter bezel and boots came out of the BII i just mentioned, lol)

Where in TN is Waynesboro?

I am EAST of you. Between Savannah and Lawrenceburg, From the last trip your direction it is about 2 1/2 hrs to Memphis. Someday, if they ever finish the 4 lane of 64 project, it will be less. My Ex only gets the 4wd nudge on the farm too!

I should mention a little history on this, I bought this ex in May of 08 because I wrecked my '96 mustang and absolutely had to have a vehicle within 2 weeks. I paid 500 for this because it had a blown slave cylinder, changed that the night I got it, drove it the whole summer with the messed up auto hubs, nearly bald 235/75/r15 car tires, and really crappy seats. Seats still havent been fully rectified, the driver's side is out of a 97 mustang, and the passenger side is the really messed up eddie bauer leather. The back seats are eddie bauer leather in decent shape.
I lucked out on getting this, i was in the right time and place, and its been really good to me. On the highway it gets around 22, so thats not such a bad thing.
So anyway, I've got some ideas that I want to do, and I am looking for more ideas, so feel free to contribute or critique. I want to keep it capable of being driven daily in some comfort, but want to maximize the offroad capabilities within that parameter. I should have the mustang fixed pretty soon, so I can take this off the road.

Once you get the 'stang going I assume that will become your DD? As for getting the Ex more off-road capable after that, I have the lift still that I took off mine. You'll want larger tires than street (stock). Also think about towhooks for the front (That is my next purchase) and if you have a reciever hitch in the rear then get a spare 2"drop/1"rise for it and put a shackle on that. A Chain or Tow strap to carry around and you're in the pullin out mode!

Once you get the 'stang going I assume that will become your DD? As for getting the Ex more off-road capable after that, I have the lift still that I took off mine. You'll want larger tires than street (stock). Also think about towhooks for the front (That is my next purchase) and if you have a reciever hitch in the rear then get a spare 2"drop/1"rise for it and put a shackle on that. A Chain or Tow strap to carry around and you're in the pullin out mode!

The 'stang will be, but I love driving the ex so i'll have both :) I have the front hooks/loops off a '01 ex sport that someone gave me that will go on there, but in august when I get some extra cash I'm going to build a winch bumper with a grill guard. I have a high-lift, 2 chains, a tow strap, a tree strap and a chain comealong that live in the truck, as well as an axe, shovel, machete and fire extinguisher. My 31's do pretty well, especially considering the amount of tread that is NOT on them, but I would want to go no bigger than 33's.

The 'stang will be, but I love driving the ex so i'll have both :) I have the front hooks/loops off a '01 ex sport that someone gave me that will go on there, but in august when I get some extra cash I'm going to build a winch bumper with a grill guard. I have a high-lift, 2 chains, a tow strap, a tree strap and a chain comealong that live in the truck, as well as an axe, shovel, machete and fire extinguisher. My 31's do pretty well, especially considering the amount of tread that is NOT on them, but I would want to go no bigger than 33's.
If my wife read that she would think we were twins! Only thing you missed in mine were the toolbox, hyd bottle jack, and fence stretcher. - Unless it is hunting season of course! I agree with no larger than 33's. There is a vendor on here that makes winch bumpers for about $450 or so. If you want to do the lift, I have the over sized springs and brackets that I'm not going to use.

If my wife read that she would think we were twins! Only thing you missed in mine were the toolbox, hyd bottle jack, and fence stretcher. - Unless it is hunting season of course! I agree with no larger than 33's. There is a vendor on here that makes winch bumpers for about $450 or so. If you want to do the lift, I have the over sized springs and brackets that I'm not going to use.

Lol, I forgot to list the tool box and the stock jack that also live back there. What size lift do you have?

I believe it is a 4" rough country.

I believe it is a 4" rough country.

If you have some pics of it on the truck, I would appreciate it. Also, how much you asking?

fiberglass diff cover? boy ive never come across one of those. i cant say much for my factory steel cover, its slowly returning to the earth. I need to put the spare i got cleaned and painted on.

fiberglass diff cover? boy ive never come across one of those. i cant say much for my factory steel cover, its slowly returning to the earth. I need to put the spare i got cleaned and painted on.

Yeah, I didn't know it was fiberglass till I broke it, I noticed an oil spot, and checked under the back, and there it was. I don't know if that was something only on explorers and only in 91, or what, but I have never seen another either.

Apparently they used these fiberglass covers on 91's at least, I went back to the junkyard again today, and saw at least 3 91's that had them. Chalk another mark up for ford's dumb ideas.

so I am thinking that I am going to add a toolbox in the back. I plan on cutting out the floor in the cargo area, and fabricating a box with a a lid that goes where the spare tire used to. (plan on converting to some sort of rear tire carrier anyway) If I were to make the box, say, 8-10" deep, that would give me a huge storage area, out of site, especially if I were to put the carpet back in over it. Has anyone done this, and can offer input? I know rookieshooter did something similar for his battery box on the bronco 1 1/2, but that was farther forward. I plan on using 1/8" plate for the bottom, mainly because I have a piece big enough to do that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very nice rig. Looks exactly like the one out in our driveway, except for all the rust LOL.

Back