• Register Today It's free!

92-94 Engine swap

98Rig

Reaction score
City, State
Stevens Point, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
im looking to find out what differences are in the 92 motor and 94 motor. i heard that the fuel injection system is different. just wanting to know because i just swapped a 94 motor in and still have the 92 and just needed to know what i may need to strip off before i take it to the junkyard. also im looking to swap to the 94 gauge cluster. is thier any differences with plugs or harness in them? or will it work perfectly?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It will not work perfectly. There was a huge change in the 93 model. The fuel injection is MFI vice SFI, the dash wiring, to include the gauge pod is way different, and the camshaft is also is different in the motor.

If you look at the connectors on the passenger side of the motor that plug into the main harness, you will notice that one is square and the other is round. If this isn't the case, you might be okay. If this is the case, you have some serious issues. Even if you swap out the engine harnesses to match up the plugs, you will have a horrible loping idle problem due to the differences in the cam. You can swap the 92 cam into the 94 motor to fix this.

The other option is a little bit more involved, but it will solve all your problems. Get the engine bay computer wiring harness, computer, engine bay power harness, and dash wiring harness from the 94 and swap everything. It's a pain in the ass, but honestly, it will solve all your problems.

I am speaking from experience as my 91 is running a 93 motor and this is what I had to do. So again, swap the cam and the engine wiring harness or replace the dash and all underhood wiring harnesses.

im running a 94 motor in my 91....i uses all of the sensors and emissions stuff from the 91 including wireing harness and computer at the time...
odly enough i have the 94 cluster in it now. also have a unknown computer in it now

take your time and match everything up you need to the harness and youll be fine. i did my swap before i was working in a shop to, so i honestly had no idea what i was doing

old thread, but i need some more info. i have a 92 motor which i swapped a 91 in due to a hydrolock incident. used all my 92 stuff no problems. the 91 motor is toast now due to cracked heads and scared up cylinders. so I'm gonna buy a 94 motor off craigslist, so it won't just swap in with my wiring harness? i know it has a egr valve and all that i just planed on not using any of it.

old thread, but i need some more info. i have a 92 motor which i swapped a 91 in due to a hydrolock incident. used all my 92 stuff no problems. the 91 motor is toast now due to cracked heads and scared up cylinders. so I'm gonna buy a 94 motor off craigslist, so it won't just swap in with my wiring harness? i know it has a egr valve and all that i just planed on not using any of it.

From what I hear, the long block should be ok but you wouldn't want to just drop the motor in as-is. Swap over your lower intake, exhaust manifolds (to eliminate EGR) and a few other goodies from your original motor. The cam sensor is something to think about, I've not seen one but I'm sure people here have recommendations on what to do about it, if anything. If possible, check the "new" engine with a leakdown test at minimum since you may not be able to do a compression test. Oil pan gasket & other gaskets/seals would be recommended too, just for insurance.

Back