• Register Today It's free!

92 XLT carphone?

DieselDean89

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus,Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT 4.0L SOHC
my buddy has a '92 XLT. nothing weird a little bit up but still runs well, but in front of his center console is a small post bolted into the floor, and 2 wires (one looks like an ethernet cable and the other looks like a headphone jack) protrude from under the center console. so my question is was a carphone a factory option for first gen explorers?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you know i was looking at explorers on craigs list i saw the same thing too but im not sure if it was factory

That was probably the mount for an old motorola bag phone or the old star-tac. There may have been a mount on top of that post for the phone to plug into. Follow those wires, there may be an external speaker and a mic hidden somewhere as well, along with a control box. Either way, all aftermarket. Ex never came with one. Just pull it all out, cut the wires, place in trash...

That was probably the mount for an old motorola bag phone or the old star-tac. There may have been a mount on top of that post for the phone to plug into. Follow those wires, there may be an external speaker and a mic hidden somewhere as well, along with a control box. Either way, all aftermarket. Ex never came with one. Just pull it all out, cut the wires, place in trash...

I still have one of those "bolt to the car" phones from Radio Shack circa early 90's. Unfortunately, there are no more analog carriers or I could power up that or my old flip phone..

~Mark

Back