93 Explorer TDI Swap | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 Explorer TDI Swap

For now just planning on a single filter with an auxiliary cooler.

I’ve seen a lot of mixed feelings about bypass setups on these TDIs. Some say they’re great and some a waste of money. Figure I’ll try with a single filter and then if I feel like I need to it’ll be easy to switch to the bypass.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bypass filtration is awesome! But if we change our oil these diesels will out live us already so why bother? $$$$$ must save where you can
Can’t wait to see it go!!

New oil pan is on and sealed up. Dropped the motor in last night for what should be the last time. Harness is plugged in. Fuel lines, heater hoses, and power steering all hooked up. Need to build a bracket for the intercooler and install. Then radiator, hoses, and remote oil filter. Getting very close to being able to start for the first time!
IMG_5449.jpeg
IMG_5450.jpeg

I’m so jealous of all that room.

Feels like cheating with all of the space.

Anybody have a good e-fan they would recommend? Using the stock Explorer radiator (upgraded to 3 row all aluminum). I’ve looked into the Taurus e-fan and it seems like a good possibility. Any others out there?

Haven’t updated for a bit but have been making progress.

Intercooler is in and mounted. Built some simple brackets that bolt to the bottom of the intercooler and run up to existing bolt holes in the core support.
IMG_5456.jpeg
IMG_5457.jpeg

Radiator was in and out several times to figure out hoses. Had to cut down the necks on the radiator to make it all work. Upper hose is a combination of Explorer and 4Runner upper hoses. The lower is Explorer and Jetta.
IMG_5461.jpeg
IMG_5462.jpeg

Went for a fan from a 1994 3.8l Taurus. Mounted it 90* from stock and it fits really well. This will be controlled with a Dakota Digital controller. Every is wired with the exception of two fuses.
IMG_5479.jpeg

Remote oil filter is in and plumbed with an oil cooler. Changing the filter will be super easy.
IMG_5480.jpeg
IMG_5481.jpeg
IMG_5482.jpeg
IMG_5483.jpeg

Sure does look sweet with an intercooler behind the grill!
IMG_5485.jpeg

Got the transmission and fuel tank back in as well. That finishes off the list of things needed to turn the key. So, Saturday I spent some time filling all the fluids up. The awesome part of all of this is no leaks. I don’t think this Explorer has been leak free for at least 15 years.

Now I’m at a point where I’m a bit stuck… it won’t start. Spent most of Sunday getting all of the air bled out of the lines, filter, and injectors. That was a real pain. Unlike most diesels you can’t crack the injectors open to bleed the air out on a VW BEW. So it’s pull the glow plugs until it sprays fuel. Was hoping once everything was bled it would fire. Nope. Just cranks but no start. I’ve gone over every bit of wire, made sure the glow plugs are functioning, made sure I’ve got fuel, swapped in a different glow plug module. Everything is setup correctly. Still nothing. It sounds like it wants to fire. Smells like it wants to fire. But it won’t. This has been the most frustrating part of all of this.

I’ve got stuff showing up Saturday so I can set myself up with VCDS to hopefully see if there’s anything in the computer that may need to be adjusted.

Will it fire on the starting sauce? Everything is looking amazing. I’m sure this will get sorted out. Some of the guys here have to be god with diesels.

Oh boy a no start
It should not need the glow plugs in order to start its summer time!
Glow plugs are a cold start aide

What is fuel pressure? Any way to tell?

Do you have enough cranking rpm?
I’m not up on the vw diesel but I have a lot of diesels here i fiddle with

Getting all the air out of the injection pump and lines after that it’s usually check for fuel supply and enough rpm they fire! Diesels work on compression not spark.

What do you think is wrong? What have you checked thus far?

I hate to use ether to check but the reality is a small shot won’t hurt anything heck some big diesels use ether to start as factory. I’ve heard wd40 will work and adds a little lubrication to the intake, but I’ve never tried it as I dont keep wd40 around

Here’s some quick reading from a quick google I did

Check your timing!!!

As stated above, see if it will run on starting fluid. When I change the fuel filters on my Detroit DD15 I'll use starting fluid instead of priming the system.

I haven’t tried any starting sauce yet. (Don’t have any on hand) I’ll get some of that and give it a shot.

I’ve got one more thing I want to try before ether though. Relates to the fuel pressure question Jamie brought up. Last night it occurred to me that I may have too much fuel filtration (sounds weird I know). Currently the fuel is going through both the Explorer filter in the frame and the VW filter at the engine. I’m wondering if the Explorer filter isn’t allowing enough fuel through. Planning to bypass the filter and try again. I’ll pick up a fuel pressure gauge too just to make sure.

It’s definitely cranking fast enough. The VW computer looks for a minimum of 200 rpm to fire the injectors. As long as I keep the battery on the jumper pack it can do that easily. It’ll smoke out of the turbo so it’s getting fuel while cranking. But again maybe not enough?

I went over all of the VW harness to make sure everything was plugged in and wires in correct spots. Compared to the diagrams and pin outs I have on hand everything is correct. There isn’t anything on the Explorer side of wiring that should stop it from starting.

I’ve read on some of the timing stuff too. The marks on the timing gears line up where they should be. That’s part of the reason for ordering the VCDS stuff. The marks could be correct but it may still need some adjustment on the computer. I’ll be able to adjust every parameter in the computer just like the dealer can.

So hopefully this evening I can try the filter bypass. Then if that doesn’t work I’ll have plenty of time this weekend to plug and see what’s going on.

I'm guilty of not checking above, do you have a low pressure lift pump in the tank?

I think Jaime has a point with the 2 fuel filters. Also creates restriction cause the diameter of the ends is smaller than the rest of the supply line.

Give it a shot if ether see if it fires
Then you know it’s a fuel issue and not timing or compression

I definitely understand the dislike in using ether, but it’s a quick and dirty test that tells a lot.

I don’t own any, either. But in this case I’d try it.

I do think you are very possibly onto it with the factory filter.

And hey, even not running it’s a beautiful swap.

As stated above, see if it will run on starting fluid. When I change the fuel filters on my Detroit DD15 I'll use starting fluid instead of priming the system.
How long does that typically take?

How long does that typically take?
1/4 of a can does the trick. The plunger on the filter housing takes 5-10 minutes pumping it, and sometimes it will fire then run dry again. I started wrenching on my trucks when the shops I use started doing piss poor work, and charged me for the time the mechanics stood around talking.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back