93 Explorer TDI Swap | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 Explorer TDI Swap

Your solution for the throttle is simple and practical.

For most driveshaft modifications what I do is remove it, measure flange edge to yoke/flange edge. Take old shaft and that measurement to a old school driveshaft shop. Tell them what's the rig is used for, and let them decide what's best for length.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would Re locate battery to other side and put air filter there behind headlight

Can use 1” driveshaft spacer at rear axle to help
Don’t be afraid to cut down your own front d shaft, it’s not that terrible with a flat table and some common sense

Your truck is awesome! Wishing you good luck on your test drive!

Finally got to drive the Explorer! Tried yesterday and ended up fighting with a seized parking brake. Got it released but now it won’t engage. Add that to the list.

Anyway, it drives so nice. I don’t remember this Explorer ever having this much power. Has no issue getting up to speed. And you know it makes turbo noises!

I need to see if I can put a softer spring, or modify the current one, in the VW throttle sensor. It’s a little to heavy and makes it hard to get started moving.

Excellent.

Woweee!!! Turbo diesel for the win!!

All I can think about now is a tdi bronco ii

Thanks a lot! Thanks for spending my future money! Hahahaha

Congrats! Glad to see it on the road.:chug:

I don't recall if you have a tuning box on your TDI. It made a HUGE difference on ours.

I’ve got a “stage 4” tune from Malone loaded on the computer. It’s definitely made it the most peppy TDI I’ve ever driven.

I was able to fix the heavy throttle pedal. Inside the pedal/sensor is two springs, one inside of another. Took the inside spring out and now the throttle pedal feels a lot more normal to me.

How does it drive?

I’m not sure yet… made the adjustment to the pedal and haven’t bothered to drive it yet.

Got the first parts of the exhaust built today. Building the exhaust in sections so if I ever need to replace a catalytic converter or muffler I can just replace one section. Each section has v-band clamps on either end. Today was the downpipe and cat section.
IMG_5591.jpeg
IMG_5592.jpeg
IMG_5593.jpeg

Hopefully tomorrow I can get the muffler and tail pipe sections built.

The driveshafts should hopefully go to the shop this week to get modified. Once they come back I’ll be able to start driving the Explorer regularly.

Finished up the exhaust today. Definitely quieted it down a bit, but not too much. And it’s got a fancy exhaust tip!

Muffler section
IMG_5594.jpeg

Tail pipe section. Had to do a few pie cuts to get the angle I needed just past the muffler.
IMG_5595.jpeg
IMG_5598.jpeg

Cold idle

Warm idle

Very nice! Cool muffler too

I'd love to ride in that explorer. Great job!

Very nice! Cool muffler too
Thank you! It’s a Nexus muffler. I’ve never used one but have a friend that’s been running them on his vehicles for a while. Figured I’d give it a shot.

I'd love to ride in that explorer. Great job!
Thank you! I think we could arrange something!

Well it’s official now… hood is back on! And a little finishing touch with new license plates.

IMG_5602.jpeg
IMG_5603.jpeg
IMG_5604.jpeg

Took it for a drive this evening and it feels so good! Drives really well and sounds cool.

Still gotta do the driveshafts and fix the parking brake.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And put diesel in that green can!

On road diesel is $5.00 a gallon here right now! Sucky time to be a diesel driver hahahahaha

Back