93 Explorer TDI Swap | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 Explorer TDI Swap

The old V6 is out! As with everything so far, it didn't put up a fight. Need to start ordering parts to fit the TDI in. In the meantime, I'll get the engine bay cleaned up. Also need to sit down with the Explorer wiring diagram and VW diagram to figure out where to hook everything up. I'm planning to simplify the harness and clean up all of my accessory wiring too.
View attachment 439367View attachment 439368View attachment 439369View attachment 439370
Wiring will probably be the most time consuming part of the entire project.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's a sexy motor. I'm swapping a VT275 diesel into a Jeep Liberty. I'll be following this build.
That's an unusual engine to swap into anything. But you may recognize something here.

IMG_20200426_182820159.jpg IMG_20200426_185043300.jpg

The compound turbo setup.

I'm curious, what engine is that? Also, Borg Warner makes a twin VGT version of that R2S setup. Instant off idle boost.
Isuzu 4BD1T. I have an old thread here where I was putting it into a 01 Sport. It's now sitting in a 04 F150.

eagerly watching this thread! though i will probably never do it myself (if anything id go gas v8) but always like these kinds of threads!

Good work so far, following with interest - - plenty of time to button it up before Moab. . . Great proving ground for the new swap.

Paul

Pulled the wire harness out of the engine bay this weekend. This thing will be going on a serious diet. Been looking at the book a little bit each night to figure out what all I need and don’t need. Also decided to pull all of my accessory circuits I’d put in over the years. They weren’t bad just could be cleaner. Planning to build a separate harness for accessories that’ll have 8-10 circuits ready to be used. Figured since I’m this far into it might as well!
B7CACC2A-64B5-4209-B5C1-0612C1EC7027.jpeg
6A4172FE-E43E-442C-ABA3-A8D7E4ACDAD2.jpeg

Looking good. I'm stalled on my project until I can get parts and someone to go through the engine. I'm excited to see your explorer rolling down the road with the new engine.

The stock wiring, it is amazing how much can be removed and still have a complet functioning drivetrain
Lots of “fluff” in with the factory essentials

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looking good. I'm stalled on my project until I can get parts and someone to go through the engine. I'm excited to see your explorer rolling down the road with the new engine.
Yep the parts waiting game is always fun!

The stock wiring, it is amazing how much can be removed and still have a complet functioning drivetrain
Lots of “fluff” in with the factory essentials
The whole time I was pulling the harness I kept thinking that the factory wiring could have been a lot simpler and cleaner. The VW stuff is all canbus so very minimal wiring going back in

Back