'94 302/4R70W/BW1354 Upgrade | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'94 302/4R70W/BW1354 Upgrade

OK guys, a few of you helped me with my SAS setup and because of you guys, everything went pretty smooth with the swap. Thanks!

Now it's time to continue on with this "Island Explorer" project and get a engine and tranny upgrade. Here's what I am looking at so far:

'96-'00 Explorer Donor - grabbing the 5.0L V8, the 4R70W tranny, all the electricals for engine and tranny, radiator parts, and whatever else I'm gonna need from the donor.

I plan on keeping my BW1354 and getting the adapter from AA from tranny to TC. I'm also getting other parts for this conversion through AA.

What you guys think? :thumbsup: or :thumbdwn:
Any problems? Anyone know if theres any problems with the exhaust manifold and the fender wells? I haven't seen any pics but it might be hard to change spark plugs with the wells and plugs near each other. Though I do have a 3" body lift!!! :rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ordered the Torque Monster headers and all the parts I'll need to do the swap from AA. Should arrive some time next week.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Dang it.......

Now i have to do a 5.0 swap lol

Sounds like you are on the right track here. I wish i had the cash flow to do this. I would like some more power

two words....

FCU LOAN!!!!

Calling All Who Have Done 5.0 Swaps into 1st Gen EX's

Does anyone know if anyone has done a 5.0 Swap from a 2nd Gen Explorer into a 1st gen Explorer. I believe Seth is one ('99 into his '93)

I know there's lots of 5.0 swaps but most, if not all, are all from something other than an explorer. I know sizing and positions are different between the vehicles so I just wanted to ask questions on sizing and placement issues.

I am trying to thinnk of a Gen I truck on this site that has a explorer 5.0L in it.......hmmm

I know they are out there, just not sure whos running around with one
Cheif302 used a manual trans and a distributor so he doesnt count, LOL, Jeo Deitz started with a 5.0 HO engine so he doesnt count..........hmmm good question!

I read a lot of threads that say using a 5.0 Explorer as a donor is the best bet, however I can't find anyone who actually used one!

well I can show you a 98 Ranger who did, my 88 BII was a 93 4.0L OHV before I did, the 88 BII is VERY MUCH like your Gen I truck, almost identical

Cool!
I just wanted to know things like, can I transfer the AC system from the '96 explorer to my '94 Explorer without any mods, slight mods, a lot of mods? What about leaving the battery in the stock '94 location or do I need to relocate it where the '96 one is? What do I do with the wiring harness where it plugs into the firewall where on my '94 explorer there is no such connection. Just things like that. Basically do i need to make my engine compartment look identical to the '96 or what. What is transferable and waht can I leave alone!

410, you have pictures of your engine compartment?

Nevermind, I found whatever I could from your thread.

use the 96 compressor with your Gen I condensor and AC box (heater box)
If I want AC in my BII all I have to do is mount my original 1988 condensor in front of my radiator, and have some custom lines made from compressor to condensor and compressor to AC box

However AC is overrated in a chop top BII, so my compressor (1997.5 Explorer 5.0L will become on board air and I will swap out my AC box for a non AC heater box someday

KEEP YOUR GEN I DASH AND AC system etc, thats my vote

The wiring you will have to figure out, its not as hard as you think, but it does take time , research and wiring books

Leave the battery where it is, use your 94 style alternator and charging system

basically all you want from the 96 is the V8, trans, computer, engine and transmission wiring. You will remove your 94 4.0L computer and engine/trans wiring , LEAVING your 94 style power distribution box. Then adapt the 96 wiring into your 94 power box, and splice the 96 wires that need to on the truck side of things (leave the 94 style plugs at firewall)

add a OBD-2 port and a fuel tank pressure sensor

retain your 94 fuel system, emissions, etc

Thats how I do it, as you can see from my LONG and windy 5.0L conversion thread :)

take notes! seriously I have boxes of notes

410- Thanks a WHOLE bunch! That made a lot of sense to me now! I wasn't sure what to convert and what to "not-convert". I have been looking at wiring diagrams from the Hawaii State Library in order to make the switch. Now I think I have a better understanding of what I am getting myself into electrical-wise. I will be doing more research on this as it continues.

Update: TM headers and AA parts are in transit. Should arrive at my door on Friday!!!

AA parts came in. Got a whole bunch of wiring diagrams for the '94 and '96 off a Mitchell Repair Manual.

I seen that one! I think at first he was going with the 5.0/T5 combo, but later, it seemed he decided to go 5.0/4r70w.

Good eye, i'll be watching that one closely! Thanks!

5.0/T5 combo, but later, it seemed he decided to go 5.0/4r70w

a wise, wise move IMO

TM Headers sre shipped and should be here on Thursday.

Cross referencing the '94-'96 wiring diagrams I got from the Mitchell Repair Manuals from the library.

410, will the only wiring diagrams I am gonna need to BASICALLY hook up the engine and tranny to my '94 Explorer will be the Engine Performance diagram which consists of the PCM and ICM Modules?

Aw Ryte!!! TM headers came in two days early! Let the engine/tranny swap begin!!!!!

hmmm you will also want the wiring diagrams for the power distribution, fuel systems, transmission, and more

my wiring books are from bumper to bumper, every single wire from headlight to tail light, very handy!

Back