94 Explorer dies and radio blinks | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 Explorer dies and radio blinks

94 Eddie

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer
After about 10-15 min the Explorer quits running the radio starts blinking and the windows move very slowly and it wont start and clicks
Its like when a battery is almost dead
Then after cooling down it starts and runs fine for another 10 min or so and repeats
This is a new one for me
Any help will be appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1 check battery cables. Positive & negative. Corrosion could be weathering the cables & cause it to short or not carry current.(My bet)
Then check your starter for a good connection, then your battery voltage while running & off then your alternator.

Checked all connections again but since it had not been long since I had cleaned them I didnt think that was it
When it started running rough and the radio cut out again I hit the alternator with a pair of channel locks and it picked up and the radio came back on
Looks like a brush was stuck in the alternator
I tried that about 30 years ago and it worked again for years maybe this one will too

We will see
I havent tested it yet but the engine changed its sound dramatically and the idle stabilized If it doesnt work I will just get out the BFH

Thats awesome! maybe invest on adding an extra ground

Thats awesome! maybe invest on adding an extra ground

It ran fine all day yesterday
I have previously cleaned the ground and it seems fine and has run on the ground it has for 260k miles
Why would adding another ground help?

Back