94 Explorer Speaker help. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 Explorer Speaker help.

xlt8791

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey guys, I am new to this forum and I posted this in the wrong place last time, but hopefully someone can help me out now. This is my first Explorer and I received it with an aftermarket stereo installed, but the rear speakers were not working. I pulled the stereo out and noticed that the rear speaker wires aren't even connected, but I can't seem to locate them to connect them. I don't see them behind the radio at all. Where are these wires located and what is the easiest way to access them. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting question - I don't know the answer.

But I'm wondering if you originally had a stereo with a factory amplifier. My Explorer doesn't have an amp, so there are basically 2 OEM plugs. One 8 pin plug for power, ground, lights, ignition signal, power antenna, etc. The other 8 pin plug has power and ground for the 4 speakers.

The wiring diagram for a stereo with an amp shows a single 8 pin plug for the stereo head. Pin 1 is the audio output to the amp. The amp has a 14 pin plug that has the power, ground, and audio inputs, as well as the 8 wires going out to the 4 speakers (2 each).

I wouldn't know where the amp is mounted on these. Someone else will have to answer that.

The amp is/was behind the plastic on the passenger side, rear panel, under the side window.

If they bypassed the amp the bypass is normally put back there too. The bypass just take the input and the output connectors of the amp and ties them together.

~Mark

The factory speaker or speaker to amplifier wires are behind the stereo and should be attached to a wiring harness.

What they look like depends on what stereo it came with from the factory. Base models and those without premium sound came with standard speaker wires that are mounted into a wide L-shaped harness similar to the one the power wires are plugged into.

On models that had a premium system with an amplifier, the "speaker" wires are the pre-amp wires from the radio to the amplifier, and are thin wires mounted in a small black rectangular/square harness. In order for these wires to put a signal through to the speakers, the amplifier needs to be powered on through the remote wire, or you need to pull the rear panel and use a bypass harness to take the amp out of the wiring.

An even simpler solution is to just buy a spool of decent speaker wire and run new speaker wire from the head unit to the speakers. This way you bypass the long and thin factory wires, the speakers get more power, and if you use labels you know what wires go to what speaker.

On models that had a premium system with an amplifier, the "speaker" wires are the pre-amp wires from the radio to the amplifier, and are thin wires mounted in a small black rectangular/square harness. In order for these wires to put a signal through to the speakers, the amplifier needs to be powered on through the remote wire

Can I use the wire for an electrical antenna coming out of my stereo? Does anyone know which pin it is in the plug/what cable color is the power supply?

Sorry. I found it. The color is Dead Link Removed.

The antenna power didn't work.

Where exactly is the booster situated? Do I have to pull the whole side panel (two door)?

Yeah you do. On the 2 doors. You can take it apart enough to get your hands in there & put in the bypass harness. That's if you go that route. If you need more access the entire passenger rear panel will have to come off. It's not really hard. A bunch of screws the seat belt torx bolt(T45 or T50) & some trim clips. I'm sure there is a DIY posted somewhere here or online.

I found this how-to on this esteemed forum. The replacement of the panel is pretty straight forward. It's just huge piece of plastic in the 2-door :eek:

As I won't use the amp, do I just cut the harness and solder input and output wires together?

The seatbelt bolt is a T47 btw.

Cgbier, I realize this post is over a month old and you've probably already finished the mod, but whenever possible it's a good thing to not cut audio wires. I recently had to put an OEM stereo back into a '94 Limited after a previous owner cut the plug from the harness that goes from the back of the radio to the amp. A replacement cable with that plug is about $60 and a real PITA to replace, so I made do with another 'tech-type' fix. An adapter would have cost about $10 and saved time and effort. I fully agree with everyone else's suggestion to install a bypass or - better yet - run new wires directly to the speakers.

Larry, I kicked out the amp in the back. It was dead in any way.

The cut-off plug ended in my cut-plugs box. With things like that I'm a pack rat. To solider the original back on doesn't take too long.

You have a point though.

Back