94 X 4x4 overheats when worked hard | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 X 4x4 overheats when worked hard

Hi Jack
look the dpfe hoses over real good. The holes will be blow out on the blind side of them, or, could be the dpfe sensor has a hole in it. take it off and take a look.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I uh bought one of those test tube things that replaces the cat to test it. And I haven't put the cat on it yet.

Clint was talking about going out to look at it this evening when he would not feel like a hot dog in one of the rolling cookers. I let him know to check it thanks.

Took Jr. up to Johns today to get the lifters replaced. Keep yer fingers crossed the cam and head are still good.

Clint says the orifice tube is broken where it goes into the exhaust manifold.

Thats the EGR tube.. that'll make a mess of the drivability and be loud too.

~Mark

Clint says the orifice tube is broken where it goes into the exhaust manifold.

It can be tig welded. Just run a copper wire down the tube, this will keep the weld from clogging it. It doesn;t need to be pretty.

edit
I mis read. sorry. I thought the orifice tube itself had broken form the--nevermind

Yup, found it at the online parts store called the egr line but this site: http://www.tomco-inc.com/Tech_Tips/ttt36.pdf calls it the orifice tube.

Whats the chances of this just being another symptom and not the cause? Like maybe it's over heating for some reason and just was so hot it burned the tube going into the exhaust manifold. Just wondering if I fix the egr it might still over heat in the summer, or going to the mountians.

We replaced all the egr stuff. No difference in the over heating. Replaced the canister. May have rid it of the nasty smell. Went and bought some TB cleaner and a couple bottles of Sea Foam. Though maybe carbon build up might cause silent detonation and build heat. Cleaned the TB and as much of the forward part of the upper intake as we could with the spray cleaner. Ran half a bottle of Sea Foam through the brake booster vacume hose twice following the directions on the bottle. Put 1/2 a bottle of Sea Foam in the 1/2 tank of gas that was in it. Still no change. Replace the manifold temp sensor. No change. Put in a set of std. Autolite spark plugs. Still no luck. Did notice the coolant cap is showing 13lb. Checked and I guess I need a 16 lb. cap so thats next.

Well the shop said fan clutch so I had them out in another Hayden heavy duty. Took it for a test run today. Still started to climb this morning with the AC on. Got up to the A in normal. Went out to get an empty trailer we use to haul cars on. On the way home something let go. Sounded kind of like a manafold or something in the egr broke. Gas smell was stronger when we bounced the truck of bumpy roads/areas. When what ever it was broke all the way se lost power. But for a while with the ac on it would idle smooth. Got it home and turned the ac of. Open the hood and again extremely hot. Very strog order of caustic bad gas and a bad miss with a stumble every once in a while. Glad I did take it to Colorado day before yesterday.

this def sounds like clogged cats.

Exhaust is a new (2 years ago) y-pipe, test tube (no cat at this time for testing), and a Flowmaster cat back and muffler.

Good idea on the exhaust check. Thanks Jon.

After the new radiator cap I could remove the winch and mount on the front. And try a tank of high test fuel.

Problem is I only have trouble when the temps are above 95 and I push it hard on a road trip for hours or try to climb a long steep trail. Getting ready to leave for CCR next week in my BII and the weather has cooled way down. I need at least a 90 degree day to run the AC and see if it gets in the top half of the temp gauge.

One quick other question. The new radiator and shroud have a poor fit. Is there a certian kind of tape best to seal this or is there an install kit or gasket for it?

why not go electric? and take the strain off the motor... and then put a kill switch in the cab incase u need to turn it off.

Back