95-01 fiberglass cowl hood | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95-01 fiberglass cowl hood

no no, i'm not saying a cowl hood isn't functional or that the physics of it doesn't create a "scavenging" effect which does pull more cold air up into the engine bay. what i am saying is that they make more sense on a different vehicle.

i have no idea what the underhood temp is for say my truck on a 110 degree day in phoenix, but i do know that my truck runs real well even at that temperature and doesn't have problems with overheating (which many higher performance vehicles would- suggesting they might need a cowl hood) i'm sure that reducing the heat of the air under the hood (by using a cowl hood for example) would help my performance a little bit, perhaps making it feel as if the outside temperature was closer to 90. which is probably a little difference, but it is definitely nothing huge. however, if you could figure out how to substantially direct colder air into your intake it would make a much more noticeable difference, for less money, and without calling attention to the incredible bulging "balls" your engine doesn't have.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by expo5.0
however, if you could figure out how to substantially direct colder air into your intake it would make a much more noticeable difference

How much colder do you think you could get the IAT?

I did a little test monitoring IAT at various speeds with an OBD II scanner ( Dead Link Removed ) Take a look.

Hey Al,

What model scanner do you have? I'd like to get one, but most I've seen are for pre 96 or something like that. Thanks.

Originally posted by DocVijay
Hey Al,

What model scanner do you have? I'd like to get one, but most I've seen are for pre 96 or something like that. Thanks.

I use this one http://www.autoxray.com/images/OBD-II.jpg with enhanced OBD II capability.

It has paid for itself many times....

aldive we are looking at it from different perspectives. i want two things from my truck low end torque for towing my boat, and 1/4 mile acceleration. i think we can agree that a cold air intake is the right thing for me. you want gas mileage, so it makes since for you since gas mileage can be best improved once you are moving that a cowl hood would be more effective.

All I am saying is that the concept of cold ait is not a reality. I wanted to build a cold air system myself until I did the scanner experiment.

I'm not looking to cool down my intake charge at the air filter or IAT. I'm looking to take heat off my Eaton supercharger which radiates heat upward. The cowl hood should allow this heat to escape rather than staying under the hood and baking everything. My underhood temps are probably at least 50 degrees hotter than everyone else's. I don't have a problem running in hot weather, but I do lose about 1 hp per degree of outside air temp above 50 degrees. I don't have the time or money to fab an intercooler, so this is the way to go for me.

Great Discussion!

Thanks for the link Al. Your observations are interesting and informative. Facts tell the real story! Robert makes some great points as well.

A couple of observations on the Cowl Hood issue...

When hooked up to an intake runner, the cowl should create turbulent/dead air right over the opening and allow the outside air to enter the intake. This is the correct/real purpose of that type of scoop from what I have read.

Both Al's and Robert's measurements are interesting because when I lived in Palm Springs I opened up some holes in my airbox to allow the K&N drop in filter to breath and the truck ran worse this way in the summer time. When I taped up the holes it ran noticeably better. I don't remember the driving conditions that were involved at the time so it may have been stop and go driving which agrees with Robert's measurements while at rest. Regardless, what my truck needs is new valves more than performance enhancements at this point! The day I rebuild the motor will also be the day I order the blower. Alec- you are a pioneer!

I would not hook up the scoop to the intake so obviously I would not be using the scoop as the race gods intended.

For my purposes, allowing heated under hood air to escape occurs because air is forced up under the vehicle (and from the radiator/fan) and is given an outlet at the top of the hood to flow out of instead of being somewhat trapped. (Run on sentence...)

The actual drop in under hood temps may be negligable at best, but given that I am most active in the summer months (wierd, I know) and like to do my hiking/biking/4x4ing when there are fewer people out on the trails in the summer time, I like the added benefit of getting the heat out in any way possible. Also, I am doing a lot more commuting in stop and stop traffic and this just gives me a little more peace of mind (whether actual or percieved?).

To be honest though, I like the look more than anything and any modest air scavenging benefits would just be icing on the cake. The only reason I am considering a change in hood is that mine needs to be stripped and painted from the "snowflake" pattern of the paint that has been discussed in other threads. Its been like this for years and I'm tired of looking at it! Not to mention the fact that I can justify this expenditure to my wife...

As far as a place to mount fog lights... Why spend the money on air dams when you can mount them under the bumper for free? Because of the looks!
Admit it. You like how it looks with the air dam!
Nothing wrong with that! Same thing applies to scoops, stripes, flames, big fat MT tires on street vehicles, HP street tires on commuters, wings, billet grilles, roll pans, side skirts, dropped suspensions, etc.........

On the highway my engine stays cool enough, even in the summer. Running on the highway my temp gauge rarely goes above 1/3. But in the city it often goes up to 1/2 and stays there. I'm hoping a vent up top will help keep it cool in the city. Heat rises, right? So when I'm stopped at a light the hot air should be able to rise out of the hood.

Plus I've been looking for a custom hood for a long time. No one else is gonna have this setup, so I'll be unique ;) I'm not unique anymore with my s/c, fenders, 33s, etc; so this will help my ego ;)

Or...

... leave it as is and be happy with what you got. :D

Re: Or...

Originally posted by X-factor
... leave it as is and be happy with what you got. :D

Could do that, but in response to your sig,

Mod = Fun

:D

Seriously though, I don't see nay problem with trying to improve your vehicle. If it makes you happy to fix it up, then by all means do so. If it makes you happy to leave it stock, then that's what you should do.

My X is just as reliable now as it was the day I bought it, and it's nowhere near stock.

Stock = Reliability = The same exact thing the soccer mom next door has, makes you as individule as 80 million other Explorer owners

NO WAY!

No offense meant, but the whole Stock=Reliability thing seems a little out of place in the Modified Explorations message group.

The fight over whether cosmetic modification has to be accompanied by mechanical modifications is interesting. Different strokes, etc. I just wish I had enough extra money to do it all. Most Not all) people I run into seem to be the same and those with cosmetic only would love to have a reliable supercharged or 347 motor underneath the scoops and flares. It's just a matter of money for them. Oh, but I may attract the crowd that wants to go faster because I always want more power out of everything. If I ever finish with my old mustang and motorcycle, my next mod will be a cam and headers for the wife's Mounty.

"Trucks"

The show, "Trucks" on TNN just did an episode highliting a shaker hood install on an F-150. Looked great and the the truck had a blower to back it up!
Sweet ride!

Bet there was all kinds of room under that hood with a blower and a shaker scoop and ducting :p

I have more performance/handling mods than visual mods but I am very picky with how my truck looks and with the EB fender flares and color ots hard to make whats on the market work well with my truck. But as far as being modified and reliable i think it doesn't make a difference. Even if a modified vehicle does wear faster (which i don't believe) those that spend money modifying there vehicles also tend to be the type of people that spend money and time keeping there vehicle tuned up and running 110%.

Originally posted by CougarX
Even if a modified vehicle does wear faster (which i don't believe) those that spend money modifying there vehicles also tend to be the type of people that spend money and time keeping there vehicle tuned up and running 110%.
Except for those of us that are lazy (me) and dont bother getting off their ass to do that kinda stuff. Speaking of that, I think I need to change my oil... ehhh, I'll do it next month.

The scoop had to be modified to fit around the intercooler ducting on that F150, wasn't too functional after that. Yes, it was very tight.

As for reliability of modded vehicles: if the average joe were to drive my truck they would probably experience more problems than a stock X. However, I usually fix things before they need fixing and pay very close attention to Splat.

As of now, the blower has been installed for over 2 years with very few problems related to it. I give the truck a full checkup about 3 times a year. It's running very well and gets me around wonderfully for a highly modified vehicle.

Alec-
Glad someone else watches that show too! I was worried when they changed time schedules that it was going away. I keep sending them E-Mail suggestions that they feature an Explorer. Maybe if everyone on the site sends them a message they will feature Rick's truck?

But do we really want Stacey David driving Rick's truck? That guy is crazy!

Now, if they want to illustrate the spindle lift for a 96 2wd Sport and put on 35s, I'd be game for a Splat feature ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I love Trucks. Stacey does have a mullet and can be a tad bit corny sometimes, but I think he does a great job on the show.

Anybody remember when they used to have a second host? I can't remember his name but he was tall and had short hair...

Back