Interest in Fiberglass Hoods

CobraXP

Just another White X
Reaction score
City, State
Salt Lake City
Year, Model & Trim Level
Early 97 X
How many people would be interested in having a fiberglass hood made for their X? I have met a guy that makes them and will be having mine made. He is getting some pictures of his work, so I don't have any right now, but will soon. The prices he gave me are as follows:

3" Cowl (whole hood) $400/ Functional
3" Cowl (scoop) $275/ Functional
4" Cowl (whole hood) $475/ Functional
4" Cowl (scoop) $350/ Functional
2" Ram Air $200 Non Functional
2" Ram Air $300 Functional
3" Ram Air $300 Non Functional
3" Ram Air $375 Functional

The difference in above is (whole hood) is a fully fiberglassed hood and (scoop) is just fiberglassing a scoop that would be attached to your hood. He uses your hood as a template, but I am looking to have that part covered - so no need to take yours off until you get the new one. The only difference in that is if you just wanted a scoop made and attached to your hood.

These are his prices for making them. There would also be a price for crating them and shipping them. I work for a freight line, so I am going to look at what kind of discounts I can get us for shipping.

Right now, I am just gauging interest in who would be interested by looking at the prices above. Hopefully in a short time, I can get a round about number for what shipping and handling would be also.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd be interested in all of the but the Ram air really caught my eye. Does he reroute the scoops under the hood into one or is it up to the owner to do the whole RAM air thing?

ps, you still coming to Jackson?

I would like to see the pics when they are available.

what are the advantages to fiberglass lighter weight?

metstalker said:

More agressive look, and the scoops can keep the engine cooler.

BeauJ said:
I'd be interested in all of the but the Ram air really caught my eye. Does he reroute the scoops under the hood into one or is it up to the owner to do the whole RAM air thing?

ps, you still coming to Jackson?

Yeah - I fly in April 8th and will be there all week. I was actually going to PM you because the guy who is making these is in Mansfield - just outside Covington. I am going to try and get a hood while I am there to take to him, but was going to see if you were interested in one since you are close to him.

The one I am having made will look close to stock with the Mustang scoop bolted on - except all fiberglass, functional, and a little different line to it.

Yes, lighter weight. The weight is the main issue with some that put them on for racing/performance reasons, but design is the reason for some that just want a different look.

Keep in mind there are alot of fiberglass hoods on the market already so you will have to be competative and or make something better. :)

What years are you talking? Gen I, II, III?

Fiberglass hoods also allow you to remove the hood mounting harwarde if you so desire and use 2 or 4 pins. Fiberglass front panels, as Fenderguy pointed out in another thread, are not much lighter then the stock metal panels, so weight reduction is not a big factor, however looks and cooling are, they are also pretty forgiving if you smack them into rocks or push them up against trees :)

410Fortune said:
Keep in mind there are alot of fiberglass hoods on the market already so you will have to be competative and or make something better. :)

The only ones I knew of were from EE and the one Troll made. I didn't know about any others, but would if you know of some. ;)

What years are you talking? Gen I, II, III?

I have a 97 and will be able to supply a hood for GenII's. If a Gen I or Gen III is wanted, we would have to get him a hood to use as a template.

Im in for a ram air one also. Just as long as it doesn't look like the one on the civic's that look like HUGE nose

Maybe I am mistaken on the Gen II hoods but places like Fiberwerks, Mcneils, glassworks all make Ford ranger and similar glass front clips, one piece and three piece. Heck you can even get a new F-150 one piece front clip for your Explorer, or make it look like an Edge or a sport trac.

Like I said I have no researched exactly what will fit Gen II's but maybe this will point you in the right direction, recently I saw Perry's did a gen I front clip on a Yellow built explorer using the Edge front piece, its wicked nice looking.

Here is Glassworks Unlimited cowl hood.

gu61_4.jpg

Tim also made this one for the gen 1 for Paul Bredehoft's X. He used a 4Runner scoop. I'm sure he still has the mold for this too.

P2121571.jpg

Fenderguy, that last pic looks too close for comfort. Did he scrape the hell out of the side?

I dont think scrapes bother him anymore :)

sounds like something i wouldn't mind getting my hands on. where is this guy at (for coming up with an idea of shipping cost)

Dave, will wait to see pics of the ram air one - I gotta replace my entire front clip, and maybe this is a small step? I'm gonna do a mounty conversion sometime this winter and get a paint job sometime around then I hope.

Let me know man.

OKay so you guys help me out here, thats River int he picture right? He built the beams, swingset etc, hes working on Pauls truck, did Paul buy that from River or are they like good friends? Just asking because I met them both in T haven and thought I was talking to Paul the owwner of the truck when i was actually talking to River....who during that same trip was working on Ricks ARB compressor :)
hahaha I am confused, but that black Ex is SWEET

The black X is Paul's. the guy that is working on the black X is Winter not River.. lol... Winter did not build the front end of the truck but he helped with some of the design. SI built the front end with the swing steering and ram and etc.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

See told you I was confused, almost as bad as your avatar

Back