95 ford explorer sport manual swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95 ford explorer sport manual swap

--Alex--

Reaction score
City, State
colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 explorer sport
i just finished my manual swap and i had a hard time getting the information i needed to do the swap, but now that im done i thought that i would put it out there.

what you will need.

clutch pedal assy, about ($100 ford) you could get this from the junk yard.

clutch master cylinder. (napa)

clutch hydraulic line (master to slave cylinder) (napa)

clutch slave cylinder (napa) comes with throughout bearing

pressure plate and clutch (napa) you could junk yard this but mind as well put a new clutch in. if you go with napa it comes with a new pilot bearing, throughout bearing clutch and pressure plate.

fly wheel (got mine from the junk yard junk yard) $25

the plate that goes between the engine and the flywheel. (the plate that is used with the auto trans will rub against the flywheel)

manual trans, i got mine from the junk yard out of a 92 ford ranger. it is highly recommended to replace the bushings and seal at the top for the tranny at the shifter. you can buy 2 top bushings and tap the pin out that holds the bottom bushing to save you time and money. they are the same bushings, ford will try to sell you the whole top of the tranny for about 80 bucks to get the bottom bushing. also make sure you get a tranny out of a 4x4 if you have a 4x4. so your transfer case will bolt up.

you will have to modify, remove, or replace your center console.

you will have just enough room to fit the clutch pedal in. its a bit of a pane, but it fits. there is a shift cable mount for the auto that might even rub the clutch pedal it is so close, but mine fit and works without rubbing.

everything bolts in without modification, i had an issue with my starter being too close to the flywheel, i used washers to space it out away from the flywheel.

you will need brake fluid for your clutch line and everything. look on youtube for bleeding procedures.

i have the 4.0l in my explorer, im not sure if different engines have different bolt patterns, i just made sure that the truck i pulled it out of also had a 4.0.

this is a really fast wright up, so if i left anything out, please let me know. i didn't take pictures because i was trying to get my car back on the road. i would love to answer any questions if any one is doing or wanting to do the swap.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you did the swap what kind of re-wireing did you have to do

When you did the swap what kind of re-wireing did you have to do

i actually didn't re wire anything, so my reverse lights are not working yet. i don't know if i had to or not, but what i did is when i had the automatic out of the car, i shifted it into park, and pulled the switch that tells the car what position the shifter is in off and plugged it into the wiring harness. i think there are 3 10mm bolts holding it on and its small and light. i do have the overdrive off light on the instrument cluster flashing. i plan on taking the bulb out of the cluster.

i don't know how to wire up the reverse lights, if anyone knows how, it would save me a headache. right now im planning on using a relay and setting up my own power to the lights and not using the cars wiring harness.

Very interesting, I have been wanting to do this swap also in my 96 sport. Now that I have read that someone has done it recently I might take this project off the back burner

i just finished my manual swap and i had a hard time getting the information i needed to do the swap, but now that im done i thought that i would put it out there.

what you will need.

clutch pedal assy, about ($100 ford) you could get this from the junk yard.

clutch master cylinder. (napa)

clutch hydraulic line (master to slave cylinder) (napa)

clutch slave cylinder (napa) comes with throughout bearing

pressure plate and clutch (napa) you could junk yard this but mind as well put a new clutch in. if you go with napa it comes with a new pilot bearing, throughout bearing clutch and pressure plate.

fly wheel (got mine from the junk yard junk yard) $25

the plate that goes between the engine and the flywheel. (the plate that is used with the auto trans will rub against the flywheel)

manual trans, i got mine from the junk yard out of a 92 ford ranger. it is highly recommended to replace the bushings and seal at the top for the tranny at the shifter. you can buy 2 top bushings and tap the pin out that holds the bottom bushing to save you time and money. they are the same bushings, ford will try to sell you the whole top of the tranny for about 80 bucks to get the bottom bushing. also make sure you get a tranny out of a 4x4 if you have a 4x4. so your transfer case will bolt up.

you will have to modify, remove, or replace your center console.

you will have just enough room to fit the clutch pedal in. its a bit of a pane, but it fits. there is a shift cable mount for the auto that might even rub the clutch pedal it is so close, but mine fit and works without rubbing.

everything bolts in without modification, i had an issue with my starter being too close to the flywheel, i used washers to space it out away from the flywheel.

you will need brake fluid for your clutch line and everything. look on youtube for bleeding procedures.

i have the 4.0l in my explorer, im not sure if different engines have different bolt patterns, i just made sure that the truck i pulled it out of also had a 4.0.

this is a really fast wright up, so if i left anything out, please let me know. i didn't take pictures because i was trying to get my car back on the road. i would love to answer any questions if any one is doing or wanting to do the swap.

You would also need to change/modify the steering column. Manuals of course don't have the whole where the auto shifter comes out of the column and it also has a manual ignition release.

I believe there is one wire that plugs into the manual trans for the reverse lights that I imagine you would have to then hook into the harness where the auto trans. did to indicate reverse. If you search for it all the answers are on here. There are tons of auto to manual swap threads.

Your starter problem.... Did you try using a manual trans starter? The auto and manual starters are different.

Find an manual trans harness for your year. (its just a short section that goes from the main harness to the trans.) Plug that in and the reverse lights will work and you can get rid of the auto trans range switch. Or you can mod your auto harness into a manual harness, its not that hard.

Briway- You dont NEED a manual column, the auto will work fine. It just doesnt look right. :D

Briway- You dont NEED a manual column, the auto will work fine. It just doesnt look right. :D

That's what I was after, it'll work but it won't look factory. I mean who wants a manual Explorer desecrated by a auto column with a hole in it? :D

That's what I was after, it'll work but it won't look factory. I mean who wants a manual Explorer desecrated by a auto column with a hole in it? :D

Not me... I went as far as to swap the PRNDL indicator in the cluster out for a blank one from a manual truck.

Very interesting, I have been wanting to do this swap also in my 96 sport. Now that I have read that someone has done it recently I might take this project off the back burner

let me know if i can help at all. its not that hard of a project. worst part for me was installing the clutch pedal haha. well i guess learning that the plate that goes between the engine and tranny didn't fit was rough, and figuring out that my start was too close to the flywheel was rough too, but that's it.

You would also need to change/modify the steering column. Manuals of course don't have the whole where the auto shifter comes out of the column and it also has a manual ignition release.

i wouldn't say that you need to do that, i kept all of that in. i thought it was really funny watching the emissions place try to drive it haha.

Your starter problem.... Did you try using a manual trans starter? The auto and manual starters are different.

Find an manual trans harness for your year. (its just a short section that goes from the main harness to the trans.) Plug that in and the reverse lights will work and you can get rid of the auto trans range switch. Or you can mod your auto harness into a manual harness, its not that hard.

no, i didn't try a different starter, i did this on a budget of 500 bucks... but the washers seem to be doing just fine for now. i want to modify the auto trans harness, but im not sure which wires are which and what i need to do. i havnt had the time to sit down and figure that out.

no, i didn't try a different starter, i did this on a budget of 500 bucks... but the washers seem to be doing just fine for now. i want to modify the auto trans harness, but im not sure which wires are which and what i need to do. i havnt had the time to sit down and figure that out.

My EVTM is at work, but IIRC:

Pink and Red/ light blue (Tan/Red on the later trucks.)are for the starter, splice them together. (They should be a larger gauge then the other 3 wires.)

Red/white is for the E-shift T-case. (Needs to see ground to shift into low range.)

Purple/orange and Black/Pink are for the reverse lights.

Back