'95 xlt Just rebuilt transmission jolts from stop | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'95 xlt Just rebuilt transmission jolts from stop

dustinjorge

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT 4x4
Hey all, hoping someone has some insight. I was pulling my boat a couple weeks back and lost power in the drivetrain. Transmission gone again, this was a 5 year old reman Ford installed.

After deciding to keep the truck I found a reputable shop in the area and ordered up a full rebuild with all the bells and whistles. HD torque converter, HD sprags, HD belts, superior shift kit, huge additional cooler, amsoil synthetic. Basically everything I know of to make this tranny as solid as possible for towing with 31s on 3.73 gears. Needless to say, not cheap!

Got it back yesterday, truck drove great out of the shop. Shifts are nice and firm and no hesitation, flare, or anything else.

After 20 minutes of highway driving I was just about back home. Starting from a stop light truck revved up then slammed into gear. Continued to do so from there. From stop, engine rpm rises to 1200-1300 rpm before drivetrain "engages" harshly with a jolt. Depending on how hard I press the pedal it will actual chirp the tires. Does this in drive and reverse. I also noticed a shudder in the steering wheel that want there before.

I looked underneath. Tranny is bright and clean and no leaks are present.

This morning I went out and checked the fluid and its right at fill level and bright amsoil red. Took the truck around the lot here and it did not have any symptoms so I assume they present when truck is warm.

Shop is closed until Monday morning so can't discuss with them until then but hoping someone has input. Obviously it's parked until I speak with someone.

Is something binding? U joint? Rear diff? Ideas?

Back