96 4.0 4x4 strange reverse issue. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 4.0 4x4 strange reverse issue.

jdtractor

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 ford sport trac 4.6
So I've searched with no luck, my reverse is pretty well "half gone" I put it in reverse no matter how much gas you give it, it just barely moves. Now you can put it in 4 low and reverse is completely fine. I have no problems in any forward gears only reverse. So transmission issue? Or transfer case issue? No noise from the t-case while in low and in park. Seems to shift from low to auto to 2wd drive fine

Won't be a problem with the transfer case, the low gears in 4 low make it easier for the transmission to turn the wheels.

Going to be a transmission problem.

Won't be a problem with the transfer case, the low gears in 4 low make it easier for the transmission to turn the wheels.

Going to be a transmission problem.
Thanks for the reply, it has me puzzled it doesn't delay grabbing reverse, goes right in reverse, it backs up but it's weak no matter how many rpms you push it has no effect. So shifting forks in the t-case would have no effect on it? Also you think since it's actually grabbing reverse it could be a valve body issue?

I just haven't seen a issue like mine posted its either completely no reverse or delay reverse.

Back