97 5.0 AWD coolant leak help needed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 5.0 AWD coolant leak help needed

atv35

Reaction score
City, State
North Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
I have a 97 5.0 AWD that is leaking coolant from the spot over the oil filter where the lower radiator hose connects before going to another hose then to the pump. What is this part and why would the coolant go to it first.

I have checked my hose clamps and they are not leaking it almost acts like this part might be cracked but i don't know what it is.

coilpack.jpg

Thanks to 410Fortune for having this picture, the part in question is in the lower right hand of the pic.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its a oil cooler and oil filter adapter, its primarily suppose to be an elbow mounting point of an oil filter but has also been turned into and oil cooler so oil and water flow through it with the thought that the oil will be heated or cooled by the radiator coolant, probably not necessary on a beefy motor doing yeoman duty like a Ford Windsor , regardless. Its there. Bypass it or replace it.

Yes, some v8 explorers have a 90 degree adapter in place of the cooler. I would try to get one of those, as the cooler is very expensive new. A used one may leak coolant into the oil, or, oil into the coolant. A used adapter with no cooler will never "wear out" , or cause this concern, so a junk yard part would be safe IMO.

There is a gasket between it and the block-and the bolt holding it to the block may be needed for the different adapter, so be sure to grab it also.

Using the adapter will eliminate the 2 hose nightmare also.

When using the oil cooler version, the short hose must be fitted, then the adapter mounted to the block. Squeezing the short hose into the opening and getting a good seal with the cooler and water pump mounted solid is almost impossible.

Thanks a bunch for the quick reply that saves some headache. So I looked at Autozone's website and they only show the two hose setup so apparently that was standard, by chance can anyone save me some headache and already know what hose I need to bypass that cooler?

So far I don't have any coolant in the oil or vice, but it is leaking about a gallon a week of coolant and I just want it to last a couple more months until I rebuild the motor.

Are you sure it is not leaking from the water pump gasket--timing cover gasket area?

Also--the little 90" bypass hose on the water pump will crack on the inside bend, and spray in that area sometimes. It's worth a looky---

Removing the fan -shroud and belt will really help the view--

I tried using a mirror and flashlight to look at the hoses and from what I could see the hoses themselves were dry. I am pretty mechanically inclined its just that this is my only vehicle and I am on a pretty tight budget right now plus I didnt really want to tear anything apart until it warms up so I can ride the motorcycle without bundling up.

My 2000 mountaineer has the adapter, as does my friends 99 explorer.

However all the 98 Mountaineers we have had around here had the cooler.

Back