• Register Today It's free!

97 Ex 5.0 Squeak

knob

Reaction score
City, State
Highlands Ranch, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT Sport & 97 XLT
I have a 97 Ex 5.0 that developed the front end squeak, I removed the serpentine belt and ran the engine and the squeak was still there. That was enough for me so I followed this link:
http://autorepair.about.com/library/a/1h/bl025h.htm
and I couldn't locate the cam synchronizer at any aftermarket places in Denver so I went to the dealer and bought the synchronizer, part #F7TZ*12A362*AC, and went home and ordered the camshaft alignment tool. I labeled and removed the spark plug wires, and the 4 bolts that hold the coil packs on, and removed the throttle and cruise control cables from the TB and exposed the camshaft position sensor. I removed the 2 5.5 mm bolts that held that on and exposed the cam synchronizer and took a picture of that. This is where the experts are going to hammer me but I got tired of waiting for my alignment tool and decided to proceed without it. I soaked the new synchronizer in oil and inserted it in the opening and lined up the insides exactly until it was in exactly as the old one in the photo I took. It took about 12 times installing the sync until it finally was exactly the same as the photo I took and I installed the hold down bolt and torqued it to 21 in. lbs and put everything back together and fired it up. It runs perfectly and I know I am lucky, but I thought I'd let others know that this procedure can be done without the tools and TDC procedure if the stars are in alignment and you are really lucky!:)

Oh yeah, the part cost $221.65 from the dealer and I reused my old camshaft position sensor.

Knob: Please put your post in the sticky on this topic. This is a common problem.

Back