97 exp. 5.0 front diff axle c clip remove | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 exp. 5.0 front diff axle c clip remove

Patrick McMillen

Reaction score
City, State
Crestline, California, USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 4 door xlt 5.0 auto
I am changing the ring and pinion on this Dana 35 ifs FRONT differential on a 97 explorer 5.0 and cannot figure out how to remove the c clip on the right side axle (the one inside the extension tube) so that I can remove axle and remove carrier. The pumpkin is on the bench. Anybody out there have the answer? Thanks, Pat

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thats a dana 35 IFS center section

Sorry I do not know about the C clip

Um, unless the V8 diff is different (which I highly doubt) the axle's just pull out. you don't have to remove the C-clips.

Indeed, there are no c-clips. The axle shafts are held in place by circlips. Pull them out and they'll pop. If they give you trouble, have someone put pressure on it with a pry-bar, then whack it with a rawhide mallet to pop it loose.

-Joe

Isn't there an inner axle on the extension (long) side?
I am thinking he is referring to this.

I believe you are correct.

you guys hes not talking about the CV axleshafts, hes talking about the inner axle stub shafts that the CV's slip onto inside the front IFS housing, these suckers are retained with C clips for sure.

Thanks, guys, It did pop out with some effort. Problem solved!

Pat

you guys hes not talking about the CV axleshafts, hes talking about the inner axle stub shafts that the CV's slip onto inside the front IFS housing, these suckers are retained with C clips for sure.

Uuuuh, nope. You have to use the 3-stooges removal technique: [curly voice on] Pull hawduh, Moe, pull hawduh!! [/voice]

Back