97 Explorer 5.0 Cobra Intake?

stoshman3000

Reaction score
City, State
DC Metro Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer AWD V8
Hey everybody,
I recently purchased a used 1997 Explorer XLT AWD V8. I am wondering, could I put an aftermarket intake manifold such as the cobra one, from a 93 mustang 5.0 onto my 97 explorer 5.0 with no custom fabrication or anything? Doesnt have to be cobra, can be trickflow, BBK, etc. (bbk is a little outta my price range though. . . :mad: ) Thanks guys, this is my first post so forgive me if i put this in the wrong section or anything.

(p.s. any other suggestions are welcome)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All V8 Explorer & Mountaineers have the GT40 intake. No sense in changing manifolds unless you are going to be pushing 400+ HP.

Explorer throttle bodies are unique. A Mustang throttle body can be modified but you will loose cruise control. Again you don't need a larger TB unless you are making some big HP.

All V8 Explorer & Mountaineers have the GT40 intake. No sense in changing manifolds unless you are going to be pushing 400+ HP.

Explorer throttle bodies are unique. A Mustang throttle body can be modified but you will loose cruise control. Again you don't need a larger TB unless you are making some big HP.

Wouldn't it allow for much smoother, higher, air flow? I don't plan on pushing tons of power, but i figured a better intake manifold would help.

The Cobra and the gt40 intakes will flow almost EXACTLY the same. That swap is not worth the money at all.

The Cobra and the gt40 intakes will flow almost EXACTLY the same. That swap is not worth the money at all.

Ok. Good to know. Im just trying to get a bit more power outta this engine. I haven't been able to find any Cold Air Intakes availible for it, most of the parts ive found for this are mustang parts, but i dont know for sure if they will work or not.

i had the same issues with my intake

Ok. Good to know. Im just trying to get a bit more power outta this engine. I haven't been able to find any Cold Air Intakes availible for it, most of the parts ive found for this are mustang parts, but i dont know for sure if they will work or not.

i had the same problem with my 94 sport there was no intakes available and i refuse to do the pvc jobs as i have seen others do so i couldnt bring my self to see drain pipe as a intake lol but i make my own outta a 90 degree chrome 3" bend and a honda intake kit and a 3 1/2 inch KN filter and a custom welded adapter plate from the maf to the filter since i couldnt not justify paying 50 bucks for it when i could have it made from stainless from a buddy for free :) but my intake job set me back about 120$ it was all custom by me wasent hard at all to do you just need an imagination oo yeah i had to also cut a chuck outta my fan shoud seeing as the piping was a wee bit larger than stock lol but it all fits and works perfect if ya need pix to help you out with the planning process of making it your self let me know and i will post some so you can see how it all came together

We're talking about intake manifolds, not cold air intakes.

i had the same problem with my 94 sport there was no intakes available and i refuse to do the pvc jobs as i have seen others do so i couldnt bring my self to see drain pipe as a intake lol but i make my own outta a 90 degree chrome 3" bend and a honda intake kit and a 3 1/2 inch KN filter and a custom welded adapter plate from the maf to the filter since i couldnt not justify paying 50 bucks for it when i could have it made from stainless from a buddy for free :) but my intake job set me back about 120$ it was all custom by me wasent hard at all to do you just need an imagination oo yeah i had to also cut a chuck outta my fan shoud seeing as the piping was a wee bit larger than stock lol but it all fits and works perfect if ya need pix to help you out with the planning process of making it your self let me know and i will post some so you can see how it all came together

awesome man, if you dont mind posting the pics that would be great. I dont know anyone who can weld, but, i have found a bunch of those bolt togeather do it yourself Cold air intake kits at advanced auto, etc. Did you notice any performance or fuel economy difference? Good or bad?

Is it worth the time and money? This is a project vehicle for me. the previous owner didnt really take good care of it, so i have been restoring it, recently passed maryland inspection

Seems to me he was

Looks like to me he was talking about a " cold air intake" which is wrong unless the use of an intercooler is used figured I'd show you he was talk about both ;)
The intake system is simply called and intake system or short ram intake cause I can assure you the air isent cold dispite what people say

Looks like to me he was talking about a " cold air intake" which is wrong unless the use of an intercooler is used figured I'd show you he was talk about both ;)
The intake system is simply called and intake system or short ram intake cause I can assure you the air isent cold dispite what people say

I am looking for an aftermarket intake Manifold, but i cant seem to find one worth getting, but for cold air intakes, the only company that seems to make them for the V8 Explorer is Mac.

You're not going to gain anything worthwhile over the stock GT40 intake already on there, and won't gain anything with a "CAI" either- unless you do some major mods first. Save your money and spend it on other more important stuff, like wear items... :)

Just look in the "need for speed" section listed in the forums. There are a bunch of mods you can do for a few extra horsepower.

The #1 Upgrade on a 5.0 Explorer is the aftermarket headers and exhaust. Factory **** is restrictive as hell.

Back