• Register Today It's free!

97 explorer question

dandsphillips

Reaction score
City, State
Rock Hill, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer V8 AWD
I have a 97 explorer eddie bauer...it has air ride on it and this past weekend we had it loaded up on our way to SC and once I got to about 55mph it started rocking violently from side to side...it only does it when im about 55mph...i tried moving the weight around in it but it still rocked...it has nevef done it before and drives fine below 55. I am completly stumped and dont even know where to begin. It is factory height with 20 inch wheels and 275-55-20 tires..i tried to turn the airride off and it still did it...

I have a 97 explorer eddie bauer...it has air ride on it and this past weekend we had it loaded up on our way to SC and once I got to about 55mph it started rocking violently from side to side...it only does it when im about 55mph...i tried moving the weight around in it but it still rocked...it has nevef done it before and drives fine below 55. I am completly stumped and dont even know where to begin. It is factory height with 20 inch wheels and 275-55-20 tires..i tried to turn the airride off and it still did it...

Hard to believe that a problem with the "fifth shock" (nearly horizontal - pass side frame to rear axle; assume it's still on an air ride equipped vehicle) would cause that, as people here talk about driving without it - but its a place to check.

I saw that shock there but didng even think it could be something so simple... I see that you also have a 2wd v8 explorer. Did you buy it like that or did you have to swap it over? I converted mine from awd to 2wd about 6 months ago and have loved it. I get about 21-22 mpg on the interstate at 70. I have 203k on mine right now and the only complaint I have it the exhaust leak on the passenger side manifold...i can still pull a 20 foot center console at 70 with plenty of power left over...

I saw that shock there but didng even think it could be something so simple... I see that you also have a 2wd v8 explorer. Did you buy it like that or did you have to swap it over? I converted mine from awd to 2wd about 6 months ago and have loved it. I get about 21-22 mpg on the interstate at 70. I have 203k on mine right now and the only complaint I have it the exhaust leak on the passenger side manifold...i can still pull a 20 foot center console at 70 with plenty of power left over...

Bought as a 2WD. Mileage 16-17 in suburbs. Showing its age.

Back