• Register Today It's free!

97 explorer rear hatch won't open

bigblockford

Reaction score
City, State
cape breton
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 5.0 ford explorer
Hello all. I'm having some issues with the rear hatch on my 1997 Explorer xlt. The handle won't open it, nor will the key open it. This once was an intermittent problem but now seems permanent. there is noway to get the door open .is there any way to remove the interior panel with it being closed shut?

goterdone

:)Easily removed interior panel while in closed position... found latch out of place, hooked it back up an all is good. Thanks too a post by,,,,,, GSJACOBS ,,,,,, (If you ever need to do this, here's some tips I can pass on:
You CAN take the cosmetic inner plastic panel off even when the lift gate is still closed. Start at the top, above the window, gently pop out a few of hidden tabs, then work around to the sides of the window and pop a few more. Take out the small screw near the centre bottom of the window, and then a couple screws that hold the inside pull strap handle. Then you should be able to lift up the whole plastic panel and off it comes. From there you remove a thin plastic dust panel and then it's pretty straigt forward after that (although kind of tight in some places.)GOOD POST BUDDY THANK YOU.!

Back