97 Sport Lift 2 - 2.5"

taxx

Make em say Ugh
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
73 EB
I realize there are many threads concerning lift, however, I do not think that all my questions are answered. As stated in the title I have a 97 sport. I have 31.6" tires under it now. However I would like to lift it 2 - 2.5" without having to throw down the dough for a lift kit (which is hard to find now, for that little of a lift). I have ordered the Warrior Shackles, but that is only going to give me about 1.25 inches. Is there an add a leaf product out there or a do-it-yourself deal, that will give me the additional lift for the rear? I cannot find an add a leaf for my year, can I fabricate one myself?

I am new to this and I see talk about two and three springs in the back, but I only see one on mine and some blocks.

Front - How can I get equal hieght in the front? 2" from torsion twist may be enough but is there any kind of spacer for the coil out there that can give me an inch or so so I don't have to crank the torsion bar all the way? Is it safe for the torsion bar to be cranked down like that?

Thanks for any helpfull input!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do a search for "OME springs" for the rear. They will give you 2". For the front you will have to adjust your torsion bars.

u have a torsion bar suspenion meaning there is no coils torsion twist is the only way...sorry....but u could do the TT,shackle and then do a 2 or 3 inch body lift

I did a search for the OME and Old Man Emu springs but I cannot find them for an explorer any ideas? Also what do these go for? Can I order them localy to avoid shipping? Any other ideas?

Also, Who makes a decent bdy lift and what do they run for? Do they come with everything you need to extend whatever has to be extended (i:e: brake cables...)?

Performance Accessories has a body lift that you can use. It is for the earlier model Explorers. I used the 2" lift and was able to extend my steering without buying another shaft. The bolts are the wrong length so you will have to replace them. You can raise the bumpers or not. I did not raise them. With 2" body lift, 2" torsion twist and front torsion upgrade/rear homemade shackle lift, I run 285/75R16s (33" approximately) and 32x11.5/16s also on occasion. If I can help further, E-mail me directly.
Rick

Nice looking truck. Looks alot like my 97 (same color scheme). You say you did not raise the bumpers at all? They look good. Do you find your tires wear down fast while on the road?

Back