98 5.0 flowmaster 50SUV muffler | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 5.0 flowmaster 50SUV muffler

Alright well... I fixed it.. [the cheap way, but whatever.. it worked]

Dammit, now I want a louder exhaust.. lol.. It's all quiet now..

Something I noticed though... the ping is back when I punch it... it either wasn't there with the leak or I didn't hear it over the mean roar of my 5.0L..
What do you guys think? My hearing? Or did it actually change the ping situation? Idk...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm wondering if you don't have a cracked header. It is very common for the passenger side to crack. This will make a ticking under load.

I haven't seen a 98 5.0 yet that didn't have a cracked exhaust manifold-egr pipe, or both.

I'm wondering if you don't have a cracked header. It is very common for the passenger side to crack. This will make a ticking under load.

I haven't seen a 98 5.0 yet that didn't have a cracked exhaust manifold-egr pipe, or both.

Is that a crack about my manifolds, which I'm hoping to reuse?

Is that a crack about my manifolds, which I'm hoping to reuse?

Nope-
I wouldn't do that. But, I would try to find a set of 99-01 cast manifolds. They also have larger ports.

And I will pardon your pun.

Mine are cast iron on my 98, which may be why they don't leak, yet.

Are they much better than the crappy crackhead looking ones I have now? More free-flowing? Should I just forget them and get the TMH? lol... [yes] but still, are the cast iron ones any better than the other type?

My 96 had a exhaust tick when cold, I got TMH, pulled the old ones off and the pass manifold was in two halfs. The metal wraping was holding them together. The TMH are soo nice, but now I have to get rid of the truck in favor of my new Mounty that I took over from my girlfriend.

Any body locally want to buy a truck?:D

Update, my "patch" magically disappeared. Lol....

It's $45 for this one shop to fix the hole, so I'm waiting til payday.

Back