98 5.0 flowmaster 50SUV muffler | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 5.0 flowmaster 50SUV muffler

Oh, nevermind.. You have a different setup than me... nvm.. Damn.. I need to find this out... I guess I'm going to email James..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Another question you could probably answer, did the kit come with replacement bolts?

Ya.

Sweet.

This may be a dumb question.. but I'm having a hard time getting the lil metal pieces out of the hangers... honestly.. I don't even see how they were put on... they're being a pain in the ass... with those little ball like things on the ends.. they're just not coming out...

How the hell do I get them out? =\

My Catback gets here tomorrow.

I've thought about it, plus wd40 or something similar.. but I'm also thinking.. exhaust gets hot.. wouldn't something catch fire?.... Am I doing it again?... worrying about crap that I shouldn't be?

[So it should slip right off with some lube? and maybe a screw driver?]

Is he gasket a very thin piece of metal? From the Ford Diagram on the last page, it looks like a thick piece.. but after looking at mine in person.. there's nothing in there... it Kinda looks like there's a very thin piece of metal in between the cats n muffler... but idk..

Should WD40 be good enough to get the bolts off also? Also, does anyone know any tricks to get the top bolt of the flange out? Seems like it's going to be some trouble with the limited space..

It's a pretty limited space, even with the longer socket.. it's gonna be a pain. [I kinda see why they changed the design.]

When I pick up my intake, HIDs, and catback later today.. I'll see if Napa or Shucks has PB Blaster, I need to pickup my brake pads, a c-clamp and my special order part from Ford anyways...

Do I NEED a gasket in there? =\

James says he thinks the catback Might not come with one.. and I was thinking it would be easier to just leave it out?

Do you know if it's something I could get at napa? The Ford parts dep guy said prolly.... but if I got it from Ford.. it would be special order..

As I was warned before, the two bolts holding the two main parts of the catback have disapeared, what size bolts do I need to replace them with?

On a side note, the only reason I found out was because my exhaust sounded so much meaner... lol...

(Would it be safe to not even run a tail pipe?)

It's just as safe (or unsafe) as having exhaust exit right after the muffler, tons of us do it, mine's like that now. There's the likelihood that fumes can get inside when idling, i've never experienced that though. IMO the mac sounded the best without the tailpipe section, where it ended above the rear axle, very throaty upon acceleration but much quieter when cruising.

I've been looking at it, I think it's still good. But it sounds louder, I might have been wrong about the tailpipe.

Why would it be louder?

How much difference does the tail pipe make?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Found out it has nothing to do with the cat-back, the hanger holding one of the two pipes, under the transmission cross member thing.... snapped back and ripped part of the pipe with it.. so there's a nice hole the size of a quarter. I got this exhaust repair thing that came with two metal meshes and some jb weld crap... we'll see how that turns out..

If that doesn't work, I guess I'm going to a welder saying it needs fixed and I failed horribly. lol..

Back