• Register Today It's free!

98 ford explorer vss location

bonmch

Reaction score
City, State
Fredericton, NB
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT
I have a 98 ford explorer and I want to test the vss and I went to the dealer and got a picture of it and I still cant find it. Most forums that I look at say it is located on the right hand side of the transmission Is that on the transmission or the transfer case?I presume that the right hand side of transmission is on passenger side?If anyone can help me locate vss very much appreciated.

I have a 98 ford explorer and I want to test the vss and I went to the dealer and got a picture of it and I still cant find it. Most forums that I look at say it is located on the right hand side of the transmission Is that on the transmission or the transfer case?I presume that the right hand side of transmission is on passenger side?If anyone can help me locate vss very much appreciated.

On the rear differential I think for 98. I could be wrong though.

Yup. For 98, they integrated the VSS signal with the rear axle speed sensor for the ABS. The true vehicle speed is determined as a composite of the rear axle speed sensor, and the front wheel speed sensors (within a certain range, of course). The ABS module then conditions the signal and outputs a variable vehicle speed reading to the instrument panel, LOM, GEM, Stereo, PCM, and a couple other things I can't recall.

-Joe

Back