• Register Today It's free!

98 Head unit in a 95

1996xlt

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
21 Impreza Sport
I have a 98 in dash cd player out of a Eddie Bauer would it be possible to put it in a 95 sport with the standard cassette player?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not positive, but I'd imagine it wont be plug and play, as in the plugs wont be compatible, and the eddie might have had the jbl system etc. that would mean a different wiring scheme in back.

I'd imagine there would be some way basically to run the power, ground, ignition and signal from the new one?

(No sense starting a new thread) My factory head unit w/casette is having some issues. I have one of those Ipod casette adapters that my head unit keeps spitting out. In addition the head unit won't recognize my cd player at times. The truck is 11 years old now, so if these parts have just lived as long they could, so be it. I also realize that some of these parts were never known to be the greatest anyway (plus it gives me an excuse to get an after-market head unit with intergrated ipod compatibilty) Any insight to these problems would be greatly appreciated.

You are correct in thinking that the stock Ford radios are generally not worth repairing. But, the 98-01 Mach and Premium radios are both Pioneers, just as good as any aftermarket HU(not the damn $1000+ HU's, let's not argue that).

I do not know what wiring adapters you might need to add the Mach or Premium unit. I mentioned them because you had last year. Adding an aftermarket HU is fairly easy for any car now, with so many adapters available. Pick your radio and see what kind of adapater it will take. Good luck,

Thanks Don, I would use the 98 HU but the display went south a while back and the amount wiring involved in getting the two system to work wouldn't be worth my time. You made my decision a lot easier, crutchfield will be getting a call shortly.

Back